Building a Casting Deck - Alternative Solutions for Materials

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by CatFighter, Oct 29, 2009.

1. CatFighter

CatFighter New Member

State:
    Morgantown, WV
    So I want to put a casting deck on my 14' tiller. it's definitely stable enough (i.e., I can stand on the edge of the boat with both feet together and not feel like I'm going in the water, and I weight 250 lbs).

I'm not sure I want marine carpet b/c i can imagine after one season what it's going to smell like what with all the fish odors and bait guts and chicken blood that will end up soaking in.

I was thinking treated decking boards but then I saw this solution:

Exterior HardiePanels

they're super strong, lightweight, waterproof, very thin, and already have a good pattern and texture for traction!

The other idea I had was composite decking boards, but I would easily end up spending $70 on that stuff.

So what do you guys think? I'm not going for looks here, but something super low-maintenance.

Attached Files:

2. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    you could use wood with vinyl or bedliner

3. el-de-saspamco

el-de-saspamco New Member

State:
    Saspamco,Texas
    I thought about using expanded metal. thought about making a metal frame out of 2" angle iron, the frame could be made to be taken out if needed, painted with that truck liner stuff. I also think this wouldn't add too much weight .

Rubes

4. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Whatever you do, dont use treated decking boards. They're treated with copper and will corrode your boat up in no time (read: holes).

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Weight.
    You need light weight materials and the knowledge of using them.

If 70 bucks is too high for materials I would leave well enough alone because you'll wind up with a dog of boat being a penny pinching miser.
    Hint. Stay away from dimensional lumber. Conventional type framing methods are WAY too heavy.

6. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    How about a piece of marine plywood? If I used that, I would even cover it with polyurethane, or some sort of sealer just for good measure. You could paint it with an acrylic paint with sand in it for traction. I bet you could do this for under $70.
    Good luck.

7. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    my advice,no wood.wood WILL rot over time.i would go with .100 gauge sheet aluminum.do it right,do it once.never have to replace again.

8. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    If your going to use the hardie panel you better put some sort of bracing every 6inches or so. The stuff is great for verticle applications but is not structuraly enough to walk on without something under it.

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Let me tell ya al ittle about marine plywood.
    There is only one brand of it that has any kind of rot resistant treatment applied to it and even that one is minimal.

So what makes marine plywood marine plywood?
    First, the Lloyd's stamp.
    The weight.
    No voids.
    High quality.
    And superior in strength.
    The glue used in laminations.

Bottom line. You throw a piece of marine ply out in the woods beside a piece of pressure treated pine and the marine plywood will be long gone before the pine.
    You see, all of this marine ply except the fir comes from offshore. Philipines, South America, ect. Rain forest wood. A plain untreated piece of pine is more rot resistant then these rain forest trees.

Still the best choice is marine plywood. Its light weight and it's strength are top dog. Even the way the laminations are cut from the logs is different then is done in the US. The plywood is of high quality. Alot higher quality then anything you'll find for sale locally. With epoxy you can make the stuff last forever providing no more care to it then you would a fiberglass boat.

You want to see a marine plywood boat?
    This is marine plywood.
    http://www.jarrettbay.com/construction/details.php?hullnum=44