Building a Canopy for Das Boot....

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by BKS72, Feb 26, 2009.

1. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I've been kind of mulling over building a canopy for the boat for a while. Today I was strolling through the scrapyard looking for some material to make rod holders for the boat and I happened across a bunch of 1 1/2" aluminum pipe that looked perfect for canopy building. I forgot all about the rod holders, scooped up some some lengths of pipe, and plunked down my $24 :smile2:.

The idea is to make it all pin together with the little pins that have the wire keeper on them so I can keep it in the boat as about 8 or 9 lengths of pipe and angle wrapped in a tarp (the "roof") and bungied to the side and put it up (and take it down) in about 5 minutes when I want some shade or to keep the rain off.

I didn't have the right size pipe to make the "sockets" to hold my uprights, so I had to split some short pieces of pipe. I welded them in between some pieces of angle for mounting brackets. You can see from the first pic how I made them. I set them up so even with the slope of the side of the boat they'll stick up at a 90 deg. angle.

Right now it's just over 6' high, which I like because I can stand under it, but I may shorten it a bit, not sure.

This weekend I'll make the framework to support the top. I think I'll make it about 8' long and I'm sure it'll be 8' wide so the edges are outside the boat so rain won't run off the roof into the boat. It was kind of spur of the moment so I'm still working out the details, but I think it'll work pretty well when it's done.

Attached Files:

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    That is gonna be sweet!!!:cool2:
    I have a feeling that you might be venturing out more during the day.:smile2:
    Cant wait to help you test it out.:wink::smile2:

3. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Maybe, but I think it's primary purpose will be to keep the sun out of my eyes so I can sleep later in the morning:smile2:

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Maybe some mini blinds to hang off the sides to really keep it dark?:smile2:
    Cant wait to see it finished.

5. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Dude. So wrong. Beads!

6. Blake Waterworth

Blake Waterworth New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hey thats pretty sweet! I guess that beats the heck out of the dip net ridge pole we improvised with last year!!:smile2:

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Looks to be a great idea.Bound to be better than an umbrella, that never seems to be where you need it.

8. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yeah, but the ol' net supported rain avoidance unit kind of worked:smile2: I got a strong feeling that if this proves out over the summer it'll probably grow sides and and a heater next winter:wink:

9. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    now all you need is winstons approval and you know its right!:wink:

10. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Nice job Branden. That should work out nicely for you. Suppose to be going out to scrounge for parts myself this weekend with my 2 brothers. Mainly going to look for parts for my drifting bar. But may have to look for some parts for a top as well. We've been talking the last few weeks about building a top for my boat. Thanks for sharing your idea...

11. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    When you get this done, make a post with pics, send me a PM and we'll put this in the library. Very nice indeed. Thanks for sharing.

12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Blake was nice enough to come over today and help me finish it out. Blake, I can't thank you enough for helping out, never would have come out this nice and gotten done this quick without ya!

We welded up the offsets on top of the posts to get the full 8' width that we wanted, and then set and welded on the tabs for the two stringers running the length of the boat. Then we cut the two pieces for the ends running across the boat and drilled them to take the pins. We fitted it all together and after letting the drill batteries recharge I drilled out the holes for pins in the long-ways stringers and in the mounting brackets.

Last pic is of it all pinned together with a tarp bungied on. I thought that tarp was bigger, but it gives you idea of what it'll look like. I'll head out tomorrow and get a the right size tarp for it:wink:

Whistler, if you want I'll write it up, PDF, and send it to you if that's easier.

Attached Files:

13. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    if you raise the front a little it should give some more lift to help you get on plain faster other than that its lookin good:wink::smile2::smile2:

14. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    I told Blake that knowing my luck the first good wind we have it'll probably capsize her:smile2:

15. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    dont say that!!!:eek:oooh: you got a good start to a sail though... :smile2:

16. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    That looks great Branden, a few more tarps and straps and you have your winter rig with heat. :cool2:

Going to have to tell Craig about this, he has said something about far weathered fisherman. :smile2:

17. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Oh and forgot, how about a hard top for a sun deck. That's so the lady's don't get in the way of fishing, But still are handy if needed.

18. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Haha, I told Blake it looked like I was building a second floor on it:smile2: It'd almost be worth it to put the dang kids up there out of my hair:smile2:

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    WOW! Looks good buddy..... Now what the scoop on the anchor lifter? or did I over look that post? Oh if ya go hard top for the boys I have one of them yellow plastic slide that will fit on it for them :smile2:

20. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Hmmm...a redneck T-top...whoda thunk?:wink:

Nice work, B.