Build your Own

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Flamekeeper, Jan 6, 2009.

1. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    BUILDING YOUR OWN CUSTOM ROD. I was asked for some advise on some things. So I put this together for all Boc Bros and Sisters who might want to start building a rod.

Go here to order yours today and search for your Blank / components for your first rod.
    http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Cat...adadf804ee33f2b7.e3eSc3aPaxmLe34Pa38Ta38Mch50

Buy the book by Dale Clemens, "Advanced Custom Rod Building"? It’s the best you will find, that is full of all the info you will ever need about rod building. Its a must worldwide for custom rod builders and the DVD, CUSTOM ROD BUILDING With Doc Ski.

It is all you will ever need to get you well on your way to completing your first custom rod. (AND MANY MORE.) I watched the DVD a few times and read a little about handle lengths selection and reel seat/guide placement and soon after I had my first rod on the wall.

Here is a List of information that I have learned and gathered from the best rod builders in the world IMHO. This is based on a Double Handled 7'-10' Catfishing Rod.

#1- the Blank, you need to figure out if you want a 1 or 2pc blank and then the length of the blank you want and its purpose. Spinning/ casting/ jigging.Graphite/ E-Glass/ Mixed etc....

#2- Then the weight class - 20-40# line etc.../ Action -Mod-Fast (flex in the blank) / and the Power of the blank, MHvy-Hvy etc...?.

#3- Once you have the blank you have selected, your blank will tell you the rest.

Now; What type of handles you want? EVA - HYPALON - CORK - CORK RINGS etc.

The OD diameter of the rod blank at the handles forward end will determine the ID of the grip itself. You will have to ream the ID of cork to fit your blank if it is chosen.

The EVA and Hypalon can be heated up in the drier too help expansion to ease the handle on, or you may be able to just get it on by cupping your thumb and for finger around the rod at the top of the handle and tighten them up/squeeze a little and then push down on the grip fast without stopping!!.., which will cause air pressure inside the grip and cause it to slide on easier..(Use this method at all times. makes life easier IMHO)

Note; If you are building this rod with distance in casting a main goal to archive, go with a rear Handle that measures 2"-3" past your elbow from the tip of your thumb on a closed hand. (As in thumbing your reel).This will give you a handle that on the tail end of a full swing, you will have enough handle to control at the butt of your rod. (Its unbelievable how much this helps in your casting).

#4- The Reel Seat, (Your Choice) Straight / Trigger etc...

#5- The Fore-grip, the Rod is really a lever and you can change this to your benefit. Note, the more forward your hand /fore-grip is on your rod the better your advantage will be, and comfortable your fishing experience will be. You can determine what length of fore grip by placing the butt section of the rod onto your waistline where it will rest as if you were to be fighting a fish, then with your fore-grip hand grab the blank above where the reel seat will be. Just above where your for-grip will start (about 4 ½ - 5 1/2") from your rear grip: Then by adjusting your hand upwards till your rod is at a 40*/45*, or comfortable with you (remembering the above) and get a
    Fore-grip that is at least 1 1/2" above your hand in length.

#6- the Winding Check, next is a small rubber ring that goes down and fits snugly to the for-grip.

#7- the Guides, The selection of the proper guides, their numbers, and their placement, after stress testing are the key elements to produce a superior custom rod. This is a starting point, not counting the tip-top.

Example Rod will be an 8’ foot rod

•Spinning rods. -Probable number of guides would be subtracting 1 or 2 from the length. Example an 8’rod would probably require 6 to 7 guides.

•Casting rods.- Subtract 1 from total length. Example an 8’ rod would probably require 7 guides.

•Surf rods. -Divide total length in half, Example 11 ½’ rod would probably require 6 guides.

•Trolling and Boat rods. -Standard 5-6 guides.

•Attention!-The word (Probably) means these numbers are for starters only.

Now you need to be able to start with the right size guide and placement for your rods Stripper/Butt Guide. (First guide from fore-grip).

Placement Recommendations for Butt Guides

Med Spin -would require the Stripper/Butt Guide to be placed 22-28” from the center of the reel seat.”
    •Bait Casting -would require the Stripper/Butt Guide to be placed 16-24” from the center of the reel seat.
    •Boat Rods -would require the Stripper/Butt Guide to be placed 22-28” from the center of the reel seat. Fast action Blank. - 18-23” for a Mod Action blank.
    •Surf Rods -would require the Stripper/Butt Guide to be placed 25-35” from the center of the reel seat.

•Note. If you have a extra fast or fast action blank, you can place the butt guide further from the reel seat than on slow- and moderate-action blanks, which you would need them to be placed closer to the reel seat because of the bend in the blank, which means more guides on that type of blank to keep the line off the blank when under load. The stress testing we mentioned beforehand comes into play here at this point after you have placed the Butt Guide, and set your remaining guides

•Starting Size, Again for starters here are some guidelines to help you select the probable minimum size butt guide.

•Med Spin, 8-12lb line size 25 High Framed guides is probably right. Over 12lb a size 30 is recommended. According to the height and width of the spool. Would be determined by your reel of choice. After your reel is seated and tested. Controlling the flight of line with the High Framed guides are recommended for the Spinning Rod Butt Guide the less line slapping the blank is what you want to achieve here all along the length of the blank with less guides as possible.

•Bait Casting-Would be determined by your reel of choice. After your reel is seated.
    Example (wide spooled) ABU 6500/ 6600/ 7000 etc… size 30 works great at 24-26” above the reel seat center.
    This was determined according to the height and width of the spool by moving it up the blank while holding pressure on the line that it was dead center on the guide ring in middle spool on the reel, and while reeling a snug line in and according to the width of the spool observing the line as it went from side to side to get less friction as the guide went further out on the blank, resulting in longer casts etc…

•Boat Rods - size 16-20-25-30 your choice, according to the height and width of the spool. Would be determined by your reel of choice. After your reel is seated and tested to achieve greater casting distance.

•Surf Rods - size 30-40 according to the length of rod and height and width of the spool. Would be determined by your reel of choice. After your reel is seated and tested.

•Note: On a 8’6” Hvy I went with size’s 1-# 30, 1-# 25, 1-# 20, 1-# 16, 2-# 12, 2-#10, then a 10: 8 tip top. Perfect center run through with the line up to the # 12 then it breaks to the tip.

•Spacing: After you get the Butt guide in place you can almost eye ball them tell they look real good to you and the static test with ½ the lb rating of you rod hanging from the line. Then adjust your guides to get a even smooth flow of line around the curve of the rod with-out any flat spots in-between the guides that do not come close to the blank.

The Book mentioned above is great, But this information will have you on your way to building your first Custom Catfish Rod.

•Next write up will be on Flex coating the finished product.

Good Luck Bros,,You can DO IT! :cool2: Kenny

2. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Thank you, Excellent tips and info.. Will order the books and DVD, and git it started!!!

3. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    After you Pick out the rod you want to build, Here is List of the material needed to Finish your New Custom Rod..

1- Wrapper

I built my first rod on 2 cardboard boxs with v's cut out on each side as Doc did in the DVD........Then I ordered the one below.

Flexcoat HW1 Hand Wrapper

Here you can take your pick, but the one above will do just fine for a beginner.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Wrappers

2-Here you can take your pick of finishes, I have found that Flex-Coat UV is alot better now, than it ever was with this product. Go's on easy and lays and cures like glass.(Don't forget your brushs)

Flexcoat Rod Finish - Ultra V Formula
    Ultra V’s unsurpassed UV protection and improved chemical stability results in unequaled clarity and brightness, while maintaining the highest durability and flexibility properties of any finish on the market today. More...

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Flex-Coat

3-Here you can the best epoxy you will need to install grips

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/All-Epoxies

The materials listed is what I have found to be used by more builders world-wide than any other..

U-40 Rod Bond

Tough, flexible two-part epoxy. Slippery and acts as a lubricant for installing synthetic grips.

And when you need a quick fix..

U-40 Quik-Bond 10-Minute Rod Bond

Quik-Bond has all the same features and benefits you have come to know and love about Rod Bond, and adds one more important feature: it begins setting up in about 10-15 minutes!

Flexcoat Rodbuilders' Epoxy Glue

This is a professional, clear, high strength, waterproof bonding material. Perfect for gluing reel seats, ferrules, gembles, handles, grips, roller tip tops, cork rings, butt caps and general repair. Pot life of 20 minutes...full strength in 2 hours. Instructions Included.

4- Thread..Make your choice..Just click on thread on left side of screen.

5-Drier.

http://www.mudhole.com/Shop-Our-Catalog/Dryers

American Tackle Rod Dryer (11 RPM)
    Featuring 11 RPM Drying Motor & Improved "L" Bracket

Sully Double Rod Dryer
    Double Your Productivity - Dry Two Rods at Once!

These Products will be all you need to Finish your Custom Rod.:wink:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing an informative post. Appreciated. Reps.

5. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    Great post Kenny,
    I can tell you Rod building is great fun, For me it gives me a chance to fish when I cant be on the water,,:roll_eyes: if you know what I mean...

But a word of caution :embarassed: it is exstreamly addictive,,, :roll_eyes:

One thing I might add to the info is,, take a look at the mud hole rod building 101 videos,,
    http://www.mudhole.com/Rod-Building-101
    This will give you a idea on how its done before you go out and spend any money,, Ive got the Doc Ski video and its loaded with great tips and I highly recomend it as well but the mud hole videos will get you started and give you a idea what your getting into...:wink:
    Good luck and have fun...
    Puddle

6. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Great info! I have always wanted to start building rods for my own use and for friends. I will have to check this info out. Sounds like fun and a great hobby! Appreciated!

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Excellent and informative post Kenny. I have always wanted to try building one. Your post helped clear the waters a bit. Reps to ya bro. Thanks. WRB

8. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Flame "THANK YOU !" Appreciate you taking the time effort on a great post here.Now I need to mark this.....
    Thanks fer the tips and info I am like alot folks round here and want to build one when the wallet is gonna allow it.....
    \

9. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    Thanks for sharing an informative post.

10. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Mucho thanks Kenny. I been wanting to try my hand at this for a long time. I'm a pretty fair hand with my hands and it would give me something to do.

11. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    YOU GOT THAT RIGHT( WHEW! ):eek:oooh:
    I got it BAD.:smile2: And I love it.....

Puddle I'mmmmm JUST HOOKEDBro.:wink:
    :smile2::smile2::smile2:LMHO,You got that right,Its like eating lays potato chips. ONE JUST IS NOT ENOUGH!:smile2::smile2:When I start on one, I can hardly wait till its complete.But taking your time in all the steps prove to build a Rod of a Lifetime.:wink:

Glad you posted about 101,I was going to mention it and thought I did OOPS. :embarassed:sorry..

12. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    You did a great Job buddy,
    I know what it took to put all of that together...
    I just thought I would add that to the list...:wink:
    Puddle

13. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Well, I ordered up a bunch of materials and equipment for this project....:big_smile:

Time will tell if I can build a fishin' rod, or just a pole to dangle a carrot out in front of me!!!:smile2:

Yes, Kenny,,, Awesome work on the info-thread!!! :wink:

14. flying_v_64

flying_v_64 New Member

State:
    NC
    Great post Kenny. I often wandered what went into a custom rod and thanks to your informative post, now I know. Kinda gave me the fever to try building my own rod. What's the approximate cost to build lets say a medium-heavy 8' casting rod?, or even a 6.5' bass rod?
    :big_smile:

15. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks Kenny, great post. I am gonna try it sometime. I have boxes and boxes of different colored rod winding that I got when my grandfather past away. I'd like to put some of them to use and build a few real nice cat rods using some of the materials that were his. :big_smile:

16. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    This well written post should be in the BOC library. SUPER info! Reps out!

Bill in SC

17. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Thanks Bill for the Reps and comment,

I'm going over all of it,making sure I left nothing out and then Along with the rest of what I'm working on now.

On (How to build your rod in a step by step process), Coming soon.

When its complete, it might be worthy of the library.:wink:

18. Sonny Kemp

Sonny Kemp New Member

State:
    Tn
    Kenny would a kit be a good choice for 1st rod?Looks like ordering correct stuff could get confusing 1st time or 2.Any suggestions on decent brands that are affordable to gain experience on? Thanks

19. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    The first rod I built, back in the early 70s, was a kit from (brace yourselves)...Herter's.

Still got it, and it's still catching fish. :)

20. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    sure go ahead and get your youself one,you will do fine.