Build Your Own Planer Boards Tutorial

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Shimano, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hey guys I've seen a growing popularity in the use of planer baords for catfishing mainly due to Mac's Catfishing University so I did a tutorial for those of you who like me like to save some coins and build your own gear. I submitted the article to the BOC but Im not sure if they will use it due to it being off site. I did it off site so I would'nt be limited to a couple of images. I think the images help more than simple text on how-to articles. Click on the link here and start with pic 1 and then click next through the tutorial. Enjoy! http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=331&folderid=293620&groupid=287283&folderview=thumbs&ck=

If you need advice on how to use the boards go to Mac's Catfishing University theres an article there that explains how its done.

Shane

2. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Pretty neat idea. I'm rounding up the materials to build some. Thanks.

3. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I left out an important step in the article. I added it in there now and Whistler is working on putting it in the library. So take a look at the added step in the tutorial.

Shane

4. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Any suggestions on where to find the aluminum at rock bottom prices ?

Thanks for the info
    -Jim-

5. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Aluminum is hard to find anywhere close to rock bottom prices right now unfortunetly. The first ones I made I used an aluminum kick plate for a door that I purchased at lowes. Seems like it was enough to make two sets of right and left. The ones Im making now are stainless steel that I got from the scrap yard. It was a side panel off of an old ice maker. Hope this helps.

Shane

6. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Thanks I was going to make some like that. But use wood for the tops. But will try some the way you have them.
    I also have SS But its 14 gauge., But will also make some of smoked Plexiglas I have. Its thick enough to hold up. And I think will make some great one.
    Thanks again for the time it took you to put this together. I hope to use some like this for Crappie,Sauger and Stripers and also catfish.
    Pete

7. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Very nice tutorial, thanks for posting.

8. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks for posting. I've got the aluminum and the foam so I'll give them a try.

9. cobra

cobra New Member

State:
    north carolina
    all you gotta do is locate someone that fishes on the greatlakes they can tell you where to buy planner boards, sure is cheaper that trying to make your own

10. Shimano

Shimano New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    You dont have to contact anybody that fishes the great lakes because I can tell you where to buy them right here local. Problem is they cost about thirty dollars a set. These cost me about ten dollars a set. I challenge you to buy some cheaper.