Build or Buy.

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by weebrio, Jul 12, 2007.

1. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    I have a ten foot Jon Boat, I think it is Ok for ponds and small fresh water lakes and not a lot more.
    It is not that stable, it takes a bit of getting used to.
    I have caught quite a few fish out of this boat, I can load and unload it by myself and it fits fine in to the back of my truck.
    It is equiped fairly well with rod holders and such.
    I like the simple style and function.
    BUT, I would like a bigger more stable boat, a little wider and a little longer with a little more free-board.
    At the moment I have very little disposable cash, so I just cant rush out and buy one.
    How much work is it to build one, how difficult (eg. how would I join the ply wood for the floor of the boat together and keep it water tight) can it be, I have plenty of tools and I can work with my hands.

I would be transfering all my hard ware that I have installed to my Jon Boat to the new boat.

What I am looking to do is make/build is a boat that is vey stable with ample room for two adult males with fishing gear.

My first few questions are.
    What sort of wood do I need?

How much will it cost?

Should I over build so I dont encounter the problems I have now? (ie. make it bigger and stronger from the start, so I will not be repeating this any time soon)

Should I sell my Jon Boat that I currently own to help finance the building of the new boat.

Thanks in advance.

2. last chance

last chance New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    IMHO, it would be very difficult to buy material and build a wood boat that would be light enough to handle like you use the boat that you have now. I believe it would be better to sell the boat you now have and put tha $$ with what it would take to build a boat and buy a bigger alum. boat. just my .02 for what its worth.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Every little bit I see fairly nice older runabouts go for $500. Pick them up all day for $1200 to $1500.
    I'd think you would have more than twice that in time if ya went to build one, not to mention materials.

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Building is something special that most boaters will never get to take part in.
    Yea you can build a boat. Its easy. So easy most people dont believe its thats easy and go pay 20 grand for something they could have turn keyed for 10 grand.

Lighter? I can build a boat of any size you can come up with lighter then any model you can find in production. Building light is expensive for boat manufacturers. They wont do it. Its too easy to hang a 200 horse motor on it.

Ever see Days of Thunder where Harry Hyde is in the barn talking to the race car?
    That is like boat building. You build her from the keel up and eventually she is born as a boat.

I would much rather have a boat I built I then anything being sold today.
    There is alot to be said when you have no complaints about where somebody else that isnt going to be using your boat screwed something down.

Its easy but also time consuming depending on the level of finish you want.
    Working a fulltime job expect around a year to complete an 18 footer unless you just have gobs of spare time.
    If I didnt work, I could complete the same boat in 2 months.
    Building a boat isnt for everyone. Everyone can do it because its that simple with today's materials and techniques just everyone isnt a believer or care to put sweat equity into a vessel and come out alot of money ahead or a boat that is much better outfitted with the saved money.
    To give you a simple cost estimate, it will cost me roughly 2000 dollars to build an 18 foot flat bottom hull complete with paint. Interior unfinished. It will be lighter and ALOT stronger then what you'll buy in fiberglass or aluminum. it will also take alot less engine and alot less gas then anything you'll roll off the lot with. Now imagine what you can do with 8000 dollars added to that.
    Maximum horsepower on the hull is 75. A 75 on it is going to run faster then you want to go.
    This flat bottomed 18 footer I've seen dancing on top of huge swells in the ocean. Jon boat? No way. Leave that thing in the toy box. You'd bust every brace in it.
    The best part about building your own. The day it gets splashed, its paid for.:smile2:

5. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    I had a 12 foot flat bottom aluminum jonboat (an older Sears model) that served me well for many years. It would allow 2 adults to fish without problems. I had a 3 1/2 HP outboard on it. I was in the air force at the time and when ever I got transferred I just put it on the roof of my car and took it with me. Used it from Maine to South Dakota. It shouldn't be too hard or very expensive to get into a used 12 to 14 foot aluminum and then use all your current equipment in it. good luck with your upgrade...

6. weebrio

weebrio New Member

State:
    TX
    Yes, I could search Craigs list and the newspaper adds for a cheap boat.
    That is sort of how I managed to obtain the boat I have now, I did some mods to it and I intend to do some more, but there is only so much you can do with a ten foot Jon.

Building a boat, sounds like something that could be done with a bit on time and paitence. I think what I am trying to say is, and this sounds silly, but I like to do things the hard way. Take the time and do a decent job

I think many people would get a good deal of satisfaction to arrive at the lake with a new boat, with the latest technoligy installed and it all looking fine. I think I would get total satisfaction if I could do the same thing with a good looking boat built by me and paid for in full.

The weight, I do want to keep it light, I understand it will not be as light as the Jon, but that is something I can handle.

What turned me on to this was not only the fact that the Jon is small and unstable for larger bodys of water was the fact that I watched On Golden Pond, the boats in that movie were realy beautifull.

Where has all the real american craftsmen gone, I know I can purchase boats like that for a pretty penny, can I make one; that is the object of this postings.
    I dont expect to replacate the quality off the bat but someday at least make a respecpital effort that get some nice comments and a smile from other boaters.

The last time I was out on the Jon, I had several of comments some good and some not so good, mostly good.

The two that sticks in my mind were, thats a nice boat it is all you need to fish really, the other was Oh my look at that little boat and then laughter from a woman who had a distinct english accent.
    The last comment made me think about this deeply.
    My son was in the boat so I felt bad for him as he is not of the age to understand aragont and ignorant people

What sort of wood do I need?

7. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    After reading an article about making a cargo canoe out of wood and fiberglass tape (it was a glue and stitch design) I decided that I really wanted to build one. I couldn't believe how easy it looked and the materials can either be ordered on line or found at your local hardware store. Look around on the net you'll find plans and everything you'll need.

Try looking here to start with....

http://www.common-sense-boats.com/boat_building.htm

8. ateamfisherman

ateamfisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    I will tell you from the start I did a dumb thing I am rebuilding a boat. Ihave bought everything new that goes on it and I am still not through.I could have bought one off the innernet lots cheaper but iguess I could have got taken for a ride or been screwed. when iget through i will know what I have. The hull is solid and does not leak. but have a lot of money in it.you just do what you can thatis all a person can do. good luck what ever you do. Thanks Sam Davis

9. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Its not a dumb thing.
    For one reason or the other some of us cant go sink 10k in a boat.
    But we could buy a 1k boat and pay cash for it and over time rebuild it out of pocket.
    After its complete, you know what you got and its paid for.
    There are different directions to go in to fit different needs and pocket books.

I dont plan or forsee me ever buying a new boat. I've not seen anything worth the asking price. The look good on the outside but when you get right down into the heart of it, you get mad. Atleast I do.

I'd rather build from scratch anyday and save quite a bot of money in the process while winding up with something I wanted to begin with and something I can fix if I break it.

As far as rebuilding boats it can get very expensive quick if you do them right.
    I dont even want to know what I've spent on a 30 year old pontoon boat so dont even ask. Probally more then alot of people have invested in their rigs and its still in pieces. the only thing I've reassembled is the motorwell.

10. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Building a boat would be the last thing I would have ever thought about.

I wanted to get away from the shore for the least amount of money, but also have a decent boat that could handle trolling at least two rods while I cast a third. I settled on a kayak and have never regretted the choice.

However, my next boat will be homemade. Once I saw what is being built out there, I was absolutely amazed. It actually turns out that these beautiful craft are much more easily constructed than you might think.

Even if kayaking is not and never will be your thing, you will find these sites very interesting, I'm sure...

http://www.guillemot-kayaks.com/guillemot/CustomBuilt
    http://oneoceankayaks.com/