Build me a rod/reel combo

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by SWeiss, Aug 22, 2009.

1. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Fellas, I need your help. I need a better catfishing outfit. I want the experts here to build it for me. Please give me a rod and reel model number (a link to the product would be great).

Here are my requirements and how I plan to use it.

I fish rivers and small lakes. I plan on going after fish that weigh no more than 30 pounds. I do most of my fishing from the shore. I throw crawlers, livers, cut bait, and live gills.

I want to spend no more than $150.

ROD

1. The rod should be 2 pieces, and at least 8 feet in length.
    2. The rod should be able to handle casting 3-4 oz and handle up to 30 lb line.
    3. The rod should be a medium/heavy to heavy action rod.
    4. The tip should be firm.
    5. It should be a casting rod, with as many guides as possible (minimum 7).
    6. The rod guides should be of the double leg type (a support foot on both sides of the guide). and be heavy duty ceramic lined.
    7. A metal reel seat is preferred.
    8. A cork handle is preferred, though EVA is acceptable.
    9. The handle/grip of the rod should be extended length (most are).
    10. A trigger is not necessary.

REEL

1. Casting type.
    2. Bait clicker is a must.
    3. Free spool is a must.
    4. There should be a double reel handle (two of the plastic thingys you hold on to when you crank).
    5. It should be able to handle 12-30 lb monofilament line.
    6. It should be able to handle up to 50 lb braid if I ever want to go that route.
    7. A levelwind that moves when the reel is in free spool is preferred, but not necessary.
    8. 3-ball bearing minimum.
    9. 200 yds of 20# line capacity (negotiable).
    10. Minimum of 3:1 retrieve ratio.
    Thanks!!!

2. bigm catfish

bigm catfish New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    steve,
    i do not know if you have acess to surge rods.in my opinion they are the best med heavy works on rivers and lakes casts live bait good only draw back is they are 7'10" one peice rod.i know you want a 2 peice. but this rod is worth looking into unless you have your heart set on a two piece. the rod is 69.00 here. the reel i like the penn and abu's but that combo might put you over your price range. if it does an allternate might be a quatum blue runner bait caster. they have stopped making the but around her there is still a few.i will tell you this i like this reel alot the drag is good cast good it has the same drag as the cobo not much diffrence in the two except the handle and the star drag that is polymr the cobo has double handle and a stainless star drag nob.the gears are the same. the reel is 55.00 or so. hope this helps. bigm catfish

3. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well you shure dont want mutch do you good luck finding a metal reel seat on a rod their aint many the 2 closest rods to your discription & budget would be a berkley glow stick or an american spirit nite stick pro. reels abu 6500 and up or pfluger trion 66

4. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    just found out from this site why i have been having trouble finding certain pfluegers they are re-releasing them in september http://www.corefishingtackle.com/fishingreels.html the trion imo is way better looking than most abus and being alluminum 1piece is a big + 5 bearing oh and also you could get a 8' ugly stick catfish (eva handle) there is a pic of the pluger on one (maybe the striper version but looks the same) in the link i posted when you click on the 66. if i had to pick for you it be the 66 and the nite stick pro

5. SW Hunter

SW Hunter New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would look a the ToughStick 9ft it has a rope handle and steel eyes. You can look at them on Cherokee Rod Man site on the sponsers site. I would pair it with a Abu Garcia 6500C3. Thats my favorite down here in Oklahoma. Good Luck!

6. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    These fellow BOCs will be glad to help! :wink: They've provided some great stuff.

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Check out the night stick pros. Look like a good rod for a good price. CC has them.

8. CatSlayer715

CatSlayer715 New Member

State:
    gville NC
    Penn 209 or find a Quantum Iron reel, with a Nite stick pro.

9. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Shakespeare's ugly stick tiger has everything your looking for in a rod and are good rods. ..................com has them but at only 7'. Model no. is BWC2201-2. They have it listed at $59.95.

They also have a penn 209 which fits within your specs. for $59.95. You can have this setup for around $120 and probably around 150 shipped.

If you check out ebay you can probably get this alittle cheaper.

10. LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN

LOWCOUNTRY CATMAN New Member

State:
    sc
    Abu 6500 with a Ugly stik Tiger 7ft.Give up the 1 ft.:big_smile:

11. CatHunterSteve

CatHunterSteve New Member

State:
    Snowville, Va
    The Penn 209 is a great tough reel and the Ugly Stick Big Water of Tiger are both a good bet for the rod, think you should be able to get the set and stay within your bedget.

12. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks guys, keep 'em coming. You're definitely narrowing down the field for me.!

13. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2009
  14. Rich.Carpenter

Rich.Carpenter New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Careful with reels and bearing counts. Two or three high-quality shielded bearings will be better than five or six cheap bearings every time. I looked briefly at the Pflueger reel's specs, and it didn't mention the type of bearings used.

15. Cherokee

Cherokee New Member

State:
    Salyersville,Ke
    Team Catfish Has some Nice Rods !!

16. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Okay,

I narrowed down the reel to an Abu Garcia 6500C3.

Now I need to narrow down the rod. I am going to a large retail sporting goods store tomorrow to look at some.

Thanks for all the info, PMs and E-Mails so far!!!

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    im careful with quality and price and pflueger has both they have been around for quite some time and will hold their own with abu.

18. H2O!

H2O! New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I agree with C.L. You can't beet the ugly stik tiger rod for the price.

19. bigm catfish

bigm catfish New Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    LOOK IN TO THE QUATUM BIG CAT ROD.THEY ARE PRICED GOOD.BIGM CATFISH

Last edited: Aug 23, 2009
  20. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Well, after much deliberation, I bought a Cabela's Whuppin' Stick. $34.99

I got the trolling model. It's a lot stiffer than the regular casting model, and has a heavier handle.

Model #WST76M
    7'6"
    2-piece
    Royal Blue with red rod guide wraps (it will look sharp with the red Abu reel!)
    7+1 guides (stainless, three-point, ceramic lined)
    EVA handle
    Graphite rod seat with stainless hoods.
    10-25 line weight

I wanted a rod with a stiffer tip than most. I looked at the Ugly Stick Tiger rods and they were just a little too "limp" at the tip for me. But they ran a close second.

I also looked at the Berkley Light Sticks. I was considering buying one, but there was something about them I didn't care for. Maybe it was the LED sticking out of the inside of the bottom section of the rod. Plus I didn't like the color. If the same rod was available in a dark color with just a lighted tip, I would bite.

I also looked at the King Kat rods. Wow, what junk. Flimsy, crappy guides, and they just look cheap. I've never used one, but I wasn't impressed with them at all for heavy bait fishing.

Thanks again!