Bugs

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by sds888, Jul 5, 2006.

1. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    What is the way you keep the bugs off the boat at night. Went out on the brother-inlaws boat couple of nights ago to see fireworks and something bit the you know what out of me. So let me hear you ways of keeping the bugs away?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

OFF with Deet works best for me. And try not to eat bananas they have something in them that makes you more attractive to skeeters.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've found Deet repellents to be the best. The smell of vanilla keeps some little bugs away, but it doesn't seem to work on mosquitos.

4. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i use the best deet% i can find, when i get in areas that they try to carry me away, skin so soft by avon works.

5. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Turn the lights off.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Light Off, Max Deet, Thermocell. Bugs will stay far away.

7. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    My wife has been an Avon lady for 7 years now and I'll swear by the stuff. They finally extracted the repellent substance out of the skin so soft and now produce their own line of bug sprays and creams. If anyone is interested give me a PM. My favorite is a lotion that has an SPF of 15...and it smells like cantelope.

8. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I think deet is the way to go

9. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    Lights off and max DEET.

10. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    but I like to use when it is posable a citronela tub candle . Deet works wel but it is easy to contaminate your bait. and also it id alittle rough on equipmet. keping lights out really helps also smokey campfire( I know Arlington it wil burn up your boat but not if you kep the drain plug out)

11. Snappy

Snappy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I use a thermacell. Works great. Gets a little pricey but well worth it.

12. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I gave my neighbor abug zapper, He was greatful. Now the bus are attracted to his property. I wonder if hey make them in 12volt. that way you could hang it in a tree away from your fishing spot. I use deed of skin so soft also as little light as i can.

13. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    Thanks everyone for your replies whatever bit me he other night put huge welts on me and it has been three days they still havent gone down never saw the thing. Does that thermocell really work I have been thinking about getting one for hunting but i am weary of taking things like that to my stand with me.
    Stephen

14. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Stephen, I was fishing with a buddy one night and he had one. Neither one of us had a bug around us all night. I would say yeah, they work great.

15. Snappy

Snappy New Member

State:
    Georgia
    yes it works well, I use mine alot during bow season and have seen deer 10' from my stand. If you take it to the deerstand be sure to secure it to the stand or tree. I have dropped mine a time or two, and they make alot of noise on the way down. In the boat or bank put it somewhere secure as well. The face gets pretty hot.

16. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am afraid one of my buddies would see the Skin So Soft in my boat and get the wrong idea.:big_smile:

I use deet and the thermocell.