Bugs on the boat!!

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by Catmaster, May 19, 2006.

1. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    What is everyones trick to keeping the bugs off of you at night on the boat? I was asking because when I am checking my lines at night or fishing off the boat I dont even turn on the lantern because I know that the bugs and masquitoes will be thicker than thick. Bugs drive me about half crazy when I am on my boat on the river trying to do a little fishing.

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    I turn off the lights and use glowsticks on the end of my fishing rods. Have an LED head lamp for the times I need to see something.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Just what Mr. T said but I use a headlight that has red LED's. It will still attract a bug or two but not like white light will.

4. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Black light. Makes your line show up better also.

5. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    i also have used blacklights for several years, on bank and the boat. fewer bugs, lines glow and your not as easy for people to see you. here our 4 of the blacklights i use. 2 small that have switches have front flashlights, and the other small is just blacklight. all take 4 aa batterys. there last good, if you get the good battery, and are bright for there size. the big one is my dandy, its a tv, radio, weather, siren and snake spot light. also a lantern that i orderd blacklight bulbs thought www.bulbs.com. its very bright and runs 110v, 12v, and batterys. it a coleman, i only payed 19.95 for at a wholesale place here in my town. the small ones, i got from there too, for 3.00 apiece.

6. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    heres the piture.

7. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Get a thermacell and you will be amazed what it will do to keep the mosquitoes off you.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Get an Amber colored globe for your lantern and that will eliminate 90% a Termacell will do 9% so you have to have a few or it wouldn't be fishing.:smile2:

9. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    May I ask what is a thermocell? Also what does everyone use for ticks?Those lil burgers are thick this year,and with the diseases they carry I don't want em on me or my family! My husband and oldest daughter have already been bit once,so far no sign of illness Thank God! Any replys would be appreciated.
    Thanks,PK

10. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    You don't have to be that paranoid about getting bit but you will if you go under trees. A few bites aren't bad. I doubt seriously they will be hurt by a couple of bites. Use deep woods off and they will stay away.

11. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent Appliance
    From Russ Chastain,
    Your Guide to Hunting / Shooting.
    FREE Newsletter. Sign Up Now!
    Guide Rating -
    The Bottom Line
    This little item is great for anyone who wants to enjoy being outdoors without being bled dry by mosquitoes. It ain't cheap, but it does what it claims, and when you're surrounded by a cloud of skeeters that threaten your very existence, it's worth its weight in gold.
    Manufacturer's Site
    Pros
    Provides about fifteen-foot diameter protection. Works very well, even in the worst conditions.
    One refill lasts about twelve hours; Easy to use.
    Repels Mosquitoes and flies (such as black flies).
    Cons
    The bottom cap kept falling off, and got lost (ThermaCELL replaced it).
    When it runs dry, you're hosed without a refill.
    Description
    Portable cordless mosquito repellent "appliance."
    Uses a butane cartridge to heat up mosquito repellent mats.
    Electronic ignition means it lights like a gas grill or Aim-n-Flame - kind of noisy, but dependable.
    Guide Review - ThermaCELL Mosquito Repellent Appliance
    The Only Way to Fly
    I have to admit, I was skeptical about this product at first, but it was vouched for by someone who had used it in the swamp where I'd tested the Bug Tamer, so I knew it was worth a try. The results exceeded my expectations by far.

In the worst conditions, I was surrounded by a black cloud of buzzing, biting torment. Twenty minutes after turning on the ThermaCELL and taping it to my stand, it was gone. Every now and then a skeeter would fly in, but she'd be sluggish and would leave before long.

Buster at Jerry's Indoor Archery done good when he told me about this, and he was right - I won't hunt in skeeter country again without myThermaCELL. Give it a try if the bugs are thick where you hunt - you won't be disappointed with its effectiveness.

we used both the lantern and the plane one both worked well no bites at all

12. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Thermocell.

Best product ever made for the outdoors. More valuable than a tent!!

13. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Let the bugs be on my boat that meand I am fishing alot!!!:big_smile: :big_smile:

14. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Actually the term bugs is relative.Anybody been out when the Mayflies start hatching.I was fishing KY Lake one evening with a coleman over the side when they started and within 5 minutes the boat disappeared,literally it was a swarming mass of mayflies.Took all day to clean it up at the carwash.Santee is just as bad but they don't bite and the fish go crazy.I'm trying out a Thermacell Lantern for the first time over Mem Day.Of course there is a members batchelor party going on at Santee so bugs might not be a problem to the slightly inebriated.:cool2: :lol: :big_smile:

15. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    100% DEET. I get it at work. Not suppose to use it on skin, but I do. Hasn't bothered me yet.

16. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    For area lighting, I'm using a 110V, yellow flourescent light bulb, run with an inverter. So far it seems to be working ok, but I haven't tested it out on the lake on a hot night yet. I don't know how long it will run on a trolling battery either, but it's only like 18 watts, so it should be ok, especially for intermittent use. I tried a 100 watt incandescent, but it pulled the battery down too fast.
    I use the red/white led headlamps also, as well as the thermacells.

17. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    the light on the lantern wasnt very bright on the theracell lantern but it kept the skeeters away

18. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    mark hav you looked in the mirror lately LOL

19. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Well, one light ain't too bright, for sho'.:wink: I always use two of them lanterns so I can see better.

20. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana