Bugless Boat Light....

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by savage308, Sep 26, 2006.

1. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    I've got a florescent lantern from Wally world that my wife and I use for fishing at night on the boat. No matter how far out on the lake we are within minutes the bugs find us. We typically use the light to help see our rods, rebait, and work our way around the boat. Also to allow other boaters to see us while on the water.

Does anyone know of any kind of light that will not bring in the bugs??? Or maybe not quite as bad.... This one definately brings them in quick....

2. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The only solution that I have found and it works is an amber colored lense.There was a company that made amber colored replacement globes for coleman lanterns and I bought 4.They work like a charm and I protect them with my life.You might try and find some amber colored saran wrap type stuff at a party store or make yourself a 12 volt light with some kind of amber globe.They do have flounder gigging lights down here that use a 12 volt reg bulb that goes into a regular globe type electrical fixture and I do know where to get amber globes for those.Evidently bugs cannot see light in the amber wavelenghts so they are not attracted to it. Sorry I can't offer more help.:big_smile:

3. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I'm experimenting with a flourescent yellow bug light. It is 120 volt and I use an inverter plugged into the cigar lighter connected to my trolling batteries. The light will only burn for about 3-4 hours per battery before the voltage drop turns the inverter off. I haven't had an opportunity to give it a real workout on the water yet, but it shows promise. I don't burn my light all the time anyway. On my open boat, the stern light is what attracts most of the bugs. I just need to extend it up about 50' higher and I'll be ok. :wink:
    I use a red led headlamp a lot at night and they work well, too. I rigged a red led light that illuminates the boat pretty good, and bugs aren't much of a problem with it, either. I put silver reflective tape on the rod tips and the red light causes them to stand out much better than in white light. The white led light really works good for tying knots, though.

4. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Thanks Jim & Tommy for the ideas. I'll check for the amber colored bulbs for my lantern just in case they are available. I really like that light it works for several trips. I appreciate the ideas. reps to ya brothers....

5. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas

6. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Shelby, that's on a fully charged 12 volt trolling battery. When the voltage drops to around 10 volts, the inverter will shut down. I have two trolling batteries, so I can switch if I need to. Since I don't usually burn a light all the time, one battery might be enough to get me through a night of fishing, but I haven't tested it yet. I will hook one up in a little while and check it out in the yard.

7. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    you can get bulb covers for most flourescent bulbs that will allow them to be whatever color you want.

Seems like yellow, red, and sometimes green work well for not attracting bugs.

8. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    At Wally World, in the automotive section, you can get repair tape for tail lights in red. I don't know about amber...
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    The open-minded see the truth in different things: the narrow-minded see only the differences.

9. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    There is a company called,Optronics, they make green flourescent bulbs that we use submerged to attract the fish. They work great on the deck with the alligator clips supplied.

HTH,Elliot

10. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I recently installed an onboard charger for my two trolling batteries; it must do a better job of maintaining a charge, 'cause I burned that yellow flourescent bulb yesterday for 6 hours steady before I finally unplugged it to go to bed. LOL

11. superman

superman New Member

State:
    DeSoto MO
    i personally use a l.e.d. head lamp from wally world they work great

12. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I have an aluminum boat and have hooked up reverse trailer lights to the back of the boat and off to the side as well. It's hooked up on a toggle switch. I placed it below the edge of the boat. It works great for seeing your poles, the lights are water proof since they are sealed, and the bugs stay on the outside of your boat! If you more info shoot me a PM.