Buggs island

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by jboy434, Sep 24, 2007.

1. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    i went back to buggs island saturday. we didnt catch a lot maybe 20 crappie only caught 2 catfish worth keeping. i did miss a few. i lost my pb sunday morning. i am sure it was over 20lbs but not sure how much more. my biggest so far was about 20 lbs. i had been fighting him for a minute or two when the hook came out. i will not be using those hooks again.

2. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    you did use the crappie for bait right? what kind of hooks were you useing? the fish were short biting sat 1bigblue:cool2:

3. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    Didnt get to use any crappie for bait. the guy i go with loves to fish for crappie so he wanted to keep them. i caught plenty of shad though. i was using a circle hook i bought of ebay. i dont think the fish was hooked to good. i missed the big one right after it was starting to get light sunday morning. ibigblue, did you do any good saturday?

4. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    jboy434 we cought 4 best upper teens,where were ya'll fishing? don't give up on the circle hook!!! we lost a bunch of fish to, they were short bitting.I know I lost a couple of 30 lbrs for that reason.were going back sat and maybe thurs if it rains here and can't work.we fished with a couple pieces of shad and not a bite.they were wearing out the center cut crappie.let me know if you're going this weekend. 1bigblue:cool2:

5. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
  6. Capt. Hugh

Capt. Hugh New Member

State:
    VA
    Jeremy, thats a good looking hook, with the bent eye you need to snell the line on it , it will increase hook ups.
    Barry if they are short hitting, if you are not letting them run you might give it a try. Capt. Hugh

7. jboy434

jboy434 New Member

State:
    va
    ever since i found this site a few months ago i have been snelling all my catfish hooks. im still not the best at it yet.

8. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    jboy434,I hear ya about the boat let me know if you go we'll be there.capt hugh hey man whats up in the james?I've tried to let them play with the bait longer but all that happens is they tangle up all my rods last week they were tangle up 5 to 7 rods just swimming around all of them,if I used j hooks I could have hooked them right up:cool2: tight lines 1bigblue