Buggs Island Cat Report

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Bryan8552, Feb 6, 2007.

1. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    My son Ryan (he's 7) and I fished a little windward cove in Grassy Creek sunday from about 4:30 til almost dark. It was way too windy and cold to be any where else. Used cut and live shad. We've switched over to circle hooks and I'm letting him handle hooksets and all on his own now. Had 7 or 8 pretty good hits and landed two blues, one bout 3 or 4 Lb. and the other probly 10-12 Lb. All hits came from 25-35 Ft. within a ten or 15 minute timeframe about 30 minutes before dusk.As usual, pretty, thick and healthy fish. Birds were working the whitecaps hard on the downwind bank. They're tougher than we are !! Water temp 42

2. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Congrats,you did better than I did on my last trip. I was fishing around Ivy Hill,I found the fish but couldn't get them to bite. I drifted for 4 hours didn't get the first bite. I haven't had much luck on shad scence oct. I've been useing Crappie,whole and center cut. You should try it sometime it works really good. Where did you catch your bait? We've been catching shad around Occoneechee park, not many at all good luck on your next trip watch that rod 1bigblue:cool2:

3. Bryan8552

Bryan8552 New Member

State:
    nc
    Onebigblue,

Here in NC you can legally buy shad. Never caught one in my life, though I intend to start learning when the weather warms. Throwing a net off the boat, in the winter, at night, is not my idea of fun. Also, I try to take my sons fishing with me so that forces me to go more during the warmer parts of the day this time of year. I am looking forward to learning to catch my own shad though. We would use crappie if we had some, it's just hard to force yourself not to buy bait when it's available (so easy). We manage to catch a few cats on shad, but I am aware of the fact that some of the best catters on Buggs prefer crappie for bait. As we become more familiar with fishing Buggs we will be sure to try it.Thanks for the info. and the report.

Bryan

4. bigblueone

bigblueone New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I have 4 sons so i understand what your saying. I like to take my 2 youngest the day before I fish to a pond and let them catch some crappie then I'll take one of my older boys to Buggs with me,it gives them all a chance to fish. Where do you buy your bait? How much are they? I'd like to know because i've spent hours before trying to catch shad.It would be a big help.thanks 1bigblue:cool2:

5. BassCat

BassCat New Member

State:
    NC
    mathews groc. in "bullock" (i think), sell shad for $8 a dozen, i'll try to find the Phone # and post it. . .he usually has some pretty good sized ones. . .his store is about 10 mins from longwood boat ramp on 15.

Good Luck,
    Mike