Buggs Bound

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by bigredneck, Feb 5, 2008.

1. bigredneck

bigredneck New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Just a quick shout out.. You guys provided some good information on my first post. Well, we got our place to stay booked, and we are ready to go. I've driven up to the lake and checked out boat ramps at Bluestone and Buffalo and see that I shouldn't have any problem with either of those.. Even checked out the ramp on the Dan @ Holly Shores.. My fishing partner would have some trouble with his massive pontoon there... Just from a parking perspective..

Anyway, 2 goals this year. 1) Catch a flathead, any size.. I've been catfishing for just a few years. Prior to that, it was Striper fishing, and Prior to that, it was offshore fishing for King Mackerel.. I still like to troll and cast for Stripers occassionally, but I like these catfish. 2) I'd like to land any catfish over 40lbs.. I think my biggest thus far is 28lbs.

I might try and get to buggs on 2/16 or 2/23 for an additional scouting trip. Get the boat wet this time, and even wet some lines..

The big trip is 3/5 - 3/10. Can you folks give me some pointers on where to catch a flathead that time of year ?

What about those 40lbers ???

Man I can't wait..

Thanks,

Ed.

2. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Depending on the weather the flats may still be slow 3/5-3/10 but your best bet on one would be from Bluestone up into the river mouths. You may be timing the blue bite just right the white bass will start up the rivers around that time and a good concentration of blues will be right with them.

3. flatheadfisher

flatheadfisher New Member

State:
    NC
    Flatheads are usually tough that time of the year. But, it should be wide open for blues!

4. cobysdad06

cobysdad06 New Member

State:
    Sutherlin VA.
    Ive caught some nice flatheads at the end of Feb. but your chance of a 40lber is very good. Better have some nice bait, they should be in shallow water at that time in the morning or late evening. Buffalo would be the perfect place for your pontoon, plenty of room and right in the middle of all the action. Good luck.

5. screamin clicker

screamin clicker New Member

State:
    Burlington North Carolina
    If you go into buffalo creek just be careful if you`re entering it from the main body, you have to stay to the left side entering into it(large shallow shoal) there is a buoy warning boaters. also know of 3 lower units that were destroyed from the structure in there, so be careful, lots of stumps in there

6. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    Yep I beached on it about 5 years ago! I was coming out of Buffalo not paying enough attention, I first thought I had gotten hung in the swimming area net, ha ha sure glad that was not the case! I was not going very fast and was able to get out and push the boat off the bar. I also saw a bass boy running wide open hit it, it sounded offal and killed his motor but he did crank back up and drove off, but I'm sure there was damage!