Buffalo

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by cat-chaser, Nov 7, 2005.

1. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm looking or tips on catching buffalo. I know that a creek near where l live is full of them but I'm not sure how to catch them. I've heard of a lot of different types of baits & techniques to use but I haven't really had much luck. I value any advice I get from here because you guys haven't failed me yet. Thanks in advance

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Catchaser, try using canned corn or dough balls on about a number one or two j-style hook, even down to about a four or six will work. Those buffalo sure are fun to catch and aren't bad eating if you don't mind the bones. Good luck, Vern

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have caught then with small pieces on nightcrawlers, watch your line close, often times they are real lite biters.

4. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ok-the water I'll be fishing is fairly shallow and murky with a soft,silty bottom. Would it be better to fish under a float? Folks around here eat the ribmeat from the bigger ones. It is pretty good,too.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Catchaser, I would fish dead on the bottom with as little weight as you can get by with. Buffalo fishing is a lot like fishing for carp, they are both suckers. Vern

6. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    This be the fish commonly known here as sheephead?

7. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Matt, I don't know where you're located, but in up state New York, Sheepshead are also called Drum.

8. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    There are buffalo in Ohio, right? They're different from drum-more like a carp.