Buffalo

Discussion in 'MISSOURI LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by WhiteCats, Mar 4, 2009.

1. WhiteCats

WhiteCats New Member

State:
    Oak Grove, MO
    My father wants some Buffalo to eat. He says that they are a flakey white meat. We don't know where and how to fish for them (besides snagging them during spoonbill season.) Any insight would be helpful. Thank you. Kyle:cool2:

2. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    well spoonbill eggs was a very good bait for them and carp and cats but its illegal now .

so you can gig them after a good rain up the creeks and when they spawn soon .

or throw a big shad net in the dead channel right now and catch tons of them 8 footer and up

this time of year we have caught many in our throw net in the dead channel from 3 to 20 lbs and a few bigger .

and yes they are great fish to eat !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wink:

we use to gig the hell out of them and carp in the spring .

also when the dam is running throw sppons with trebble hooks and snag the heck out of them also ..

I cant think of any good baits for rod and reel fishin where you could have much success maybe catch 1 once in awhile but not too many i bet ..

3. WhiteCats

WhiteCats New Member

State:
    Oak Grove, MO
    Thanks Scottie. We are headed down to Warsaw today and tomorrow to meet up with CCSO640. I will give the throw net a shot, maybe get some shad while I'm at it. Thanks again. Kyle:cool2:

4. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    River mussels are the best bait I've found here in SE Kansas.Verdigris and Neosho rivers full of them up to 30 lbs.

5. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    good luck kyle catch some hawgs buddy !!!!

watch out for angel shes 1 mean puppy :smile2::smile2:

tell chris i said hi ..

6. WhiteCats

WhiteCats New Member

State:
    Oak Grove, MO
    I will pass the message on to him and Angel. Maybe this time I won't run out of gas! LOL:smile2: Kyle:cool2:

7. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    :eek:oooh::crazy: well chit wheres the adventure in that ???? lmao :smile2:

shoot if ya spend another 200 dollars with steve im sure he would bring ya gas again :wink: lol man did you get lucky he was home !!!!!

8. WhiteCats

WhiteCats New Member

State:
    Oak Grove, MO
    That's no lie!! Steve did save my butt that day.:tounge_out: Yes, I have invested more than $200 with Steve since that day. I planned on buying everything from BassPro but the way Steve treated me that day, I figured that I would buy things from him on prinicpal alone!! FYI I bought the anchor also! Kyle:cool2:

9. huntoften

huntoften New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Worms and believe it or not...canned corn work well. You'll have to sift past 10 carp to catch one buffalo usually, but you'll have fun catching them. Catching carp/buffalo is a great way to learn how to fight bigger fish too.

I agree with Scotty on those methods...spoonbill eggs "used" to be THE bait! :wink:

10. WhiteCats

WhiteCats New Member

State:
    Oak Grove, MO
    I hope to get hooked into a nice buffalo, because I have heard that they are some tough fighters! I will be giving it a shot tomorrow!! Kyle:cool2:

11. Seth

Seth Active Member

State:
    Owensville, MO
    Scotty....when is the spring gigging season or did you mean snagging? The best way I've found to get them besides gigging in the fall is to shoot them with the bow. Lots of fun too. I find them feeding on the surface along with bigheads quite often below Bagnell Dam.

12. jlcperformance

jlcperformance New Member

State:
    moberly, missouri
    there r some good carp baits u can make in the member library that work pretty good but like was said earlier u will only catch 1 buffalo to every 8 or 10 carp.

13. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Ever use mussels for river red horse? We used to fish for them after we set our trotlines. We would fish on the shoals and catch buffalo, redhorse, and cats.

14. catfishscotty

State:
    mo

never new of a season for gigging lmao we just did it when the fish gathered in creeks and coves :wink::wink:

kinda like picking blackberries ya pickem when they are ripe :roll_eyes:

15. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    my nephew and me been throwing spoons below the dam and having a blast hooking buffalo and spoonbill and last time i was down we even hooked a couple spoonbill in the boat . they fight like hell OOO YAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!

so whitecats if ya still want some buffalo gets some spoons and have a blast catching them below the dam the closer to the dam the better :wink::wink:

here some pics

16. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    MORE PICS

17. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Boy Scotty, those are some nice buffalo. Never was too high on eatin them, but they are fun to catch like that. :cool2:

18. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    they aint bad the way my mom fixes them my brothers and me use to go gigging every spring and laod up on them a truck load at a time and mom canned them and we fillet some to fry also heck i just like gigging them and catching them below the dam after we had all we wanted in the deep freeze we kept them and fed them to the hogs on the farm cheap hog feed and the hogs did well on them at 1 time dad had a little over a 100 sows and we raised feeder pigs . back in the 70s and early 80s then the hog market went to chitt .lol

19. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Scotty, Those are some big buffalo thanks for sharing the pics and the story:wink::smile2:

Never caught any that big:cool2:

20. catfishscotty

State:
    mo
    if ya wanna try it and catch some big ones now until they shut the water off ya can catch the heck out of them below truman dam if they are running water . we hooked alot that we never got in and would have a big scale off the fish on the hook ,, but about half actually bit the spoons and are hooked in the mouth other half be hooked anywhere , also ya can catch white bass and hybrids on the spoons i like a really bright green or white and pink spoons the best in around 1 1/2 ounce .

just throw them out as far as ya can let it sink about 3 to 8 seconds and slowly retrieve it in if ya feel a bump pull the rod back steady and sorta slowly ,, seems if ya jerk hard and fast ya missem .

i use a medium action 8 to 9 foot rod with 30 lb test
    my nephew is using a 7 foot medium action rod with 15 lb test
    any heavier line is a burger to break off if ya get hung up .

and the smaller the line ya use seems to sink and ya can feel more in the current .

but dont go to small :wink: