Buffalo vs. Carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by catman529, Dec 16, 2006.

1. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Anyone who has experience with buffalo fishing:

How do they compare to carp? Such as bait, time of year, time of day and chumming? I heard from another member that they feed like crazy in the spring. Since I just discovered them in our stream this summer I haven't had the chance to do any spring fishing for them. I will be using corn and maybe worms when they start feeding again. What are your opinions on these fish?

[detailed info: I believe the species where I fish are either black buffalo or smallmouth buffalo or both. They live with the gar, and I can see them sitting near the surface right where I fish for gar. They are difficult to snag - the only thing I managed to get was two scales this summer.]

2. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    I've never caught buffalo on purpose, but I've caught a few of them. We used to get into them when we fished for catfish down by Breckinridge TX. They bit the worms like crazy. And there was no mouthing the bait either, they slammed it. Nearly lost a rod that way. I wasn't paying attention and it nearly left the boat! We caught them left and right, about 5 - 8 lbs. It was a lot of fun.

Good luck and take pictures.:tounge_out:

3. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    what time of year was that? When I was fishing for them they would not even look at the bait, just sit there in the water.

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Catman I have caught one it was the first week of summer vacation I think I had just finished 8 are 9th grade. I think we were using night crawlers maybe worms. I know we were at Possum Kingdom Lake in Texas. Good Luck on your quest.

What hook are you using for snagging? I have not tried snagging but I use a 20/0 weighted treble for a rope gaff when fishing from the pier at the beach. Would something like that but, smaller, work are am I completly off base here.

5. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    My Dad told me that they made their spanning run in Jan. and Feb I don`t know where they will bite a hook then or not he caught them in a hoop net most of the ones I have caught have been in the summer fishing at night useing worms:big_smile:

6. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I found the best snagging hook was a 1/8 oz crappie jig, like the kind with feathers. It snagged a 5lb buffalo perfectly but the hook completely bent and the fish got away. Maybe a bass jig with one of those big sturdy hooks would work.

7. skeetermagnet

skeetermagnet New Member

State:
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    When we got into them it was in a cove, middle of August, about 9am and already over 90 degrees. That day they moved in like in a school and we caught them for a while and then they went away.

8. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    That is interesting, I'm pretty sure my cousin foul hooked a Koi in the neighborhood pond (3footer) and it sure enough snapped his 12 pound test in a heartbeat. I got a scale off of one a few days ago with a 2/0 treble and some weights. Went to the store looking for the big old 12/0 trebles but they ran out...I'll try a crappie jig....it won't spook them as much either, thanks.

Also, with the jig you let them swim across and come from underneath or what? Any specific part of the body you go for?

9. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    More specific details:

I used a bobber to keep the jig from sinking past the fish. If the fish was 6 inches under the surface, I would rig the bobber 12 inches. Remember light refraction, the fish appear closer to the surface than they are.

As far as where to snag them, I drag it directly over the fish and when I feel a slight tap that's when I set the hook. I try to get them right on the back, anywhere from the dorsal to the tail. The cheap jigs I got have cheap hooks that will bend if you try snagging with them. If you can find a slightly larger jig (to penetrate scales as well) with a sturdy hook that might do the trick.

You mentioned the 12/0 trebles, I also considered that before but haven't tried it yet. If you do, let me know how it went. Good luck fishing

10. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Here are some of my snagging hooks. The smaller ones I made.

[​IMG]

11. pylodictis

pylodictis New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    i started catching buff when i got bored with catfish and started targeting carp. where i fish, on the monongahela, the buff seem to grow larger than carp, but they usually would hit during the day on the same corn i was catching the carp on. i can't fish for one without catching the other.
    in the spring they would hit like crazy, especially around 3pm. but, in my experience, they would mouth the bait, slack the line, and run almost exacly the same as the carp. i never knew which one i had until i got it to the surface.
    they may act differently in different situations and presentations. i always fish the shallows with small hooks and bait, presented on the bottom with a slip sinker, and a bobber slung between the eyes of my rod as a strike indicator. only on very few occasions would a buff strike without slacking the line first. but, since that's the only way i fish for them, that's the only way they hit for me.
    i've recently tried burger king french fries as a bait and it's worked as well as anything. they're still hitting pretty well here in december. i caught about ten on two days the week before xmas.

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i use a homemade bait for buffs and it works great. Just use a size 4 treble hook and no weight. when u see that line start to move away from you about 6 inches set the hook really hard. you will hook the buff somwhere in the head area and the fight is on. they dont fight as hard as carp but seem to be bigger on the average. I caught a 25lber 2 days ago.

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Buffalo are one of the fish I target when trotlining. I think they are delicious. Here in KY, it doesn't seem to matter what time it is, they bite night or day. It doesn't seem to get too hot for them either. I catch them in the dog days of summer when nothing else is biting hardly. I've caught them on redworms, nightcrawlers, catalpa worms, and dough bait (cottonseed meal really attracts them).