BUFFALO NATS

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by MRR, May 8, 2009.

1. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Any of U folks have these little pests or are the just in our area?Talked to some folks last night out in Ks and they said they don't have them.We have them coming back again this year in swarms.Last yr they was so bad in order to just fish you had to wear netting over your head.They like to fly around the face .not good on the eyes. Don't taste good either.Was hoping we'd get by this yr but guess not so lucky.Don't know why they are called Buffalo Nat's.They aren't that big just lots of them.

2. ERIC S

ERIC S New Member

State:
    Baton Rouge LA
    We have a ton of gnats in the marshes in Louisana. It makes it almost unbareable to fish. These little bitting pest will tear you up. The don't even get phased by bug spray.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    John,we have them,as well as deerflys,both are a royal pain. You aint lived till ya inhale a few bufferlo gnats after getting a chunk bit out of ya by a deer fly:sad2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    LOL - Ain't that the truth!! There ain't a worse bite or sting than a deer fly bite! Man they smart! And I am already seeing a few of those damned gnats you are talkin about around here.:angry:

5. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    We ahve them here in Ark also. I have been using a Thermacell and it seems to keep them thinned oput at least.

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Buffalo Gnat, Buffalo Gnat won't ya come out and play tonight
    By the light of the silvery moon.

Got 'em don't need 'em and they can be dangerous.

Black flies they are also known as. Blood suckers. Here they can drive cattle nuts, let alone fisherpersons. The hurt and esp. they can cause an allergic reaction and it will drive ya nuts.

7. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Ok lets KILL this thread!!:wink::eek:oooh::tounge_out: Arkansas is capital of the WORLD on bull-gnats when they come out someone is gonna bleed & bleed hard!!

8. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Back home we have some kind of little knats that bother you.....I posted this on an e-mail a ways back, but in my younger years prior to all these fancy bug sprays, we would fish at night on the river.

We would take and chew on the ends of the old sulphur matches about 2 hours prior to going out. I guess it is sweated out your body, and pretty much keeps any kind of bugs away to include mosquitos. Today they have Sulphur pills, dont know if they are as effective. Also, someone planted mint out my back door, where we sit in the evenings.....I figured out why. I read that to keep mosquitos off kids, crush the mint and rub on them. My daughter welts up when bit, so my now douses them down in mint leaves and she says it works effectively, and when sitting out the back door, the kids crush the mint when walking so mosquitos dont bother you.

9. Fishmaster1203

Fishmaster1203 New Member

State:
    PA
    No, but we have seed ticks. Wanna trade? LOL

10. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Aawww, man... I've had seed ticks in places you don't want to hear about...:smile2::smile2:

11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Sorry Paul we got them too!!!!:eek:oooh::wink::tounge_out: There aint much we aint got around here!!

12. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    LOL we have those in MO too...UGHHHH!!! A couple of caps of bleach in a bathtub of water will get those bad boys right off of ya. doesn't take a lot, but it will work...we know from experience. LOL!!!!!

13. Rohaus

Rohaus Well-Known Member

State:
    Vilonia Ar
    We sure don't need anymore seed ticks that's for sure LOL!