Buffalo fish

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by limted, Dec 29, 2008.

1. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    DOES any one know how to get Buffalo fish to bite i accidently snaw once in a while but i want to learn how to fish for them the blue colored buffalos any help would be appriciated

2. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Art, you basically fish for them the same way you would a carp with similar baits. Doughbait with cottonseed meal and/or garlic powder & canned spinach works particulally good for them. Fish on or near the bottom, use small hooks #1 or #1/0. They are fighters and are very good eating fresh; just boney.

3. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Art. The only ones I have ever cought on rod and reel were cought on minnows or worms. I have snagged a few of them during snagging season, and years ago giged a few during gigging season, very fast , hard to gig.

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    We catch them all the time in winter below Shelbyville dam here (il), using spoons, Silver Cotton Cordell to be exact, they go by in big schools and will smash the spoons......

5. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    Every time i try fishing for them i only catch carp speaking of carp any caught any of those asian carp that are here now They are very good to eat
    taste like chicken but are very boney i have learned how to get bones out of the meat but i loose a lot of it guess it doesnt matter they are pentiful here in indiana and they dont need to be here any way

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Another thing with both types of them, Older gal down the road takes all you can give her and smokes them then runs them in a pressure cooker and cans them, no bones and WOW! let me tell ya, pack of saltines and good to go.... they are very tasty!

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Art, I didn't think to ask but, do you know what kind of buffalo sucker you're trying to catch? Bigmouth Buffalo are more difficult to catch on rod & reel because they suspend and feed primarily on microscopic organisms such as zooplankton. Smallmouth & Black Buffalo are another matter and are readily caught on r & r because they don't feed primarily on zooplankton (but they can).

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i catch small mouth buffs all the time, u need to chum the area with range cubes
    Make a dough bait out of range cubes that have been melted in water, flour, and some garlic. make it kind of like a thicker biscut dough
    cast out on treble hook size 4 or 2. Make sure there is no weight but the bait
    let it sit in the chummed area and when ur line starts to tighten, set the hook as hard as u can
    Most of the time u hook the fish around his mouth, but sometimes it is foul hooked
    if fishing a good area it is not uncommon to catch 15-20 a day. Most will be over 10lbs too

9. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    I use white bread. take a slice and pull off all the crust use only the white part just roll it into a dough ball and press it onto a treble hook with a spring fish it right on the bottom use light gear and small hooks they will also hit small worms think the ones i use are called blood worms something like that they are only bout a inch long also fish these on the bottom.

10. kyledbarnes

kyledbarnes New Member

State:
    south carolina
    we usuallythrow out 350 lb. of cracked corn every once and a while, this draws all types of carp, then the bread idea is problably one of the easiest and the best, also, throw a little corn on the hook

11. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    Its the large mouth buffalos i trying to catch not much luck but i do catch a few smallmouth buffalos

12. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    eaisest way i think is to bait them with a fiberglass arrow tipped with a muzzy fish point:wink:

13. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Many years ago, probably about 30 yrs (man time flies and I'm gettin old) my brother and I caught a big mouth on an anise scented boilie on a trotline. It's the ONLY one I've ever seen up in these parts. I'm sure they're more common than I realize, but they're just not caught on R & R like the smallmouths are.

14. limted

limted New Member

State:
    indiana
    What is a boilie

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
  16. kansas_catman_16

kansas_catman_16 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i catch em on light tackle(6ft medium action spinning rod 20lb power pro) wen im on a boat i use either a worm tipped jig and use the depth finder . or dough balls on my 12 footer and cast it as far out as i can on large flats wen fish from shore

17. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    One thing I'm almost guaranteed to catch a buffalo on is a river mussel.Sometimes will get a drum or catfish too.My favorite doughball is Wheaties cereal.Take a big handful of wheaties and dip it in the water and srart squeezing,in a couple of minutes you have a big tough doughball that you can hardly cast off.Put a few in the blood from your chicken livers makes them better.One handfull of wheaties makes enough for several baits.

18. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Add some vanilla extract to this mix, and "voila" killer buffalo bait !