Buffalo Fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by TennesseeJugger, Oct 15, 2009.

1. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I went back to Cordell Hull Dam today and was going to improve my PB and catch a bigger striper, but instead I caught what people are calling a buffalo fish. Some even call it a sheep head, this fish came in at 15 pounds and I was told that they get even bigger. I took there word for it when I hung a hog that ran like he stole something. I never saw him but he was about to empty the spool off my bait caster and he broke my 50 lb test braded wire! Must have been a monster! I am going back in the Am and see what else I can get into. I have attached a photo. You tell me what you think it is.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      20.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  2. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Its a buffalo. A sheeps head is a salt water fish.

3. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nice! looks like a smallmouth buffalo to me.:wink:

4. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Heck yeah, those are a blast to catch! I wonder if they are good to eat? Thanks for the picture and good luck tomorrow.

5. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Some other guys said that they are good to eat but that they are boney. They said that you have to cut the red meat out of them like big stripers.

6. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm sure you could with some good seasonings.. Just have to dig through an abundance of bones.:confused2:

7. dthrasher

dthrasher New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Good to catch, alot of fun, but not worth a dog to eat, for me anyway. The texture is alot like gator but you have to be very careful when cleaning not to rupture the mud vain. It takes skill to remove. when I was a young lad a mom of a fishing buddy of mine would bake them with veggies, that was pretty good or maybe I thought it was. I feel your pain on the line snap. I was fishing on the upper end of Cordell Hull last summer at night in 20ft of water. I got a hit that put a real test to my zebco 808 with 50lb line. He too off toward the bank, about 40 yards from the boat. It sounded like a grown man splasing in the water. The snap of the line popped like a 22 and he was gone. I just sat and stared at the water as my wife reveled in the glory of beating me that night.

8. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Yea, those puppies are full of bones. Way more bones than I want to mess with. Even using them as cut bait is hard because of all the bones. You basically have to have a heavy pair of shears to cut them up.

9. Skunk_Ape

Skunk_Ape New Member

State:
    tenn.
    oh yes that's a buffalo. i wonder if they call them buffalos because they get so big. i don't think i've ever seen one under 12-13 pounds. a sheephead is also a nickname for a freshewater drum and it was probley a big striper that broke your line

10. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    I read online that they get the name buffalo due to the large high and hump on the back.

11. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Welcome to the BOC Roger.

12. Skunk_Ape

Skunk_Ape New Member

State:
    tenn.
    i had a friend who caught a 32 poun buffalo at agallatin steam plant last year and it almost pulled him in they,re not good eating but fun to catch

13. Skunk_Ape

Skunk_Ape New Member

State:
    tenn.
    well thanks don my job makes me move around so much i don,t get settled in long enough to praticipate on fishing boards or much of anythhing but looks like i,m here for a few months

14. festus

festus New Member

I caught a couple of buffalo fish this spring that hit twistertail grubs when I was fishing for stripes and crappie. They get so thick during the spring spawn on the Emory River, you can snag them really easy. They look like a cross between a carp and a sucker, but they're a member of the sucker family.

15. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Bullalo ribs are delicious and if the rest is scored correctly it is good too. To bony to eat if not cut up correctly. If theres any question about it, a bullao don't have the short whiskers or the big bugle lips like a carp does. They get big too. If you can find cottonseed cake and cut it in small chunks it's good bait.

16. TennesseeJugger

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    What is cottonseed cake?

17. festus

festus New Member

Someone besides me could tell you more about them, but I think they originated as livestock feed. But they also make good chum for carp and catfish. I've even heard of crappie fishermen baiting their brushpiles with cottonseed cakes to attract minnows. There's also this stuff called cottonseed meal that's used around blueberry bushes to correct the pH. I've seen cottonseed meal, but never seen a cottonseed cake. Doesn't sound like good dessert, does it? :eek:oooh:

18. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I was below OH dam fishing for skips today and using a curly tail and hung into something big that straightened my hook. It was slow moving and did not feel like a big striper. The guy fishing next to me said it was prob a buffalo. Never saw it and did not know about this type of species. My fishing was cut short due to a sales call. I caught one skip.
    Nice Striper in the avitar. Well done..Good luck tomorrow.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  19. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Wander if the buffalos are spawning? Never know what it mightve been.. a big spoonbill or catfish.:big_smile:

20. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    tnjugger nice new picture you got going there, glad to see that still wearing them out and thanks for the great post