Buffalo fish - whats the best bait for them/

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by bondman, May 17, 2006.

1. bondman

bondman New Member

State:
    Vandalia, IL
    I was just wondering what everyone else was using to catch buffalo? I have always had good luck with earthworms and was just curious as to what works for you?
    Bondman

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've heard worms and corn are good for them, never caught one though. Alls I know is I get buffalo from the supermarket sometimes and it is good fried up.

3. Lngbo

Lngbo New Member

State:
    Marion Ark
    When we used to have trotlines we would catch them on whatever we were using at the time for catfish. Mostly cut bait (shad), soap, some worms were used at time and also chicken parts.

4. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    The library has a lot of good baits, I have one in there strawberry, banana jello bait. I have caught a ton of carp and buffalo on it.

5. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I use my old stand-by for carp,Wheaties and strawberry pop.It's been working for as long as they've been making Wheaties? I don't catch many over about 12 lbs. though.

6. ScottWiseman

ScottWiseman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    Nightcrawlers with no weight...worked for me.

7. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I have tried many baits and the only bait that I have caught buffalo on was night crawlers. In the rivers I fish they seem to only stack up against the bridge peer where it is deep and very heavy current. I have never caught them anywhere else.

8. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    when i go carp/buffalo fishing i dont catch any but when i go catfishing ill catch them just like this weekend on lake texoma was fishing with shrimp got a big ole buffalo ive had them take live shad, cutbait, stinkbait, worms, crickets, liver cured and fresh. i think they will pretty much take anything thats in there path when they are sucking up food on the bottom. sure are fun to catch on light gear strong fighters

9. Gringoloco

Gringoloco Member

State:
    Ft. Belvoir, VA
    Name:
    Josh
    I always catch them on nightcrawlers while fishing for cats.

10. dataman

dataman New Member

State:
    texas
    I bait my boat slip with hog pellets and catch buffalo which I use for cut bait. I have caught buffalo on jigs,red worms,crickets, and Berkley Gulp! corn bait. The biggest fish (33.5#) was on the Berkley corn.

11. tragic

tragic New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    they hit on similar things to carp.. caught a few today using a jighead with some grub tails

12. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Last week my brother pulled up a 10 lb.er on a Rattle Trap hooked in the mouth. Have caught them on Tube Jigs also.