Buffalo Fish - How to trot line them?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by catdaddy007, Oct 30, 2008.

1. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    I'm planning on trotlinning for some razorback buffalo. Can anyone tell me what types of places to look for ? Do I put my line across the river or down the bank ?

2. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    From our PM's so everyone can read.

Originally Posted by catdaddy007
    I posted this in "All Other Fish" but haven't gotten any response. I remembered your bait recipe and figured you could help me out. I'm planning on doing some trotlinning for buffalo. What types of places do I look for ? Do I put my lines across the river or down the bank ? Thanks

I always go accross and try to adjust the line so that the hooks are within 12" of the bottom or closer. The river is narrow enough up here (80-120 yds.) that it's no big deal to go from bank to bank. This gives something to hang on to and pull the boat along in the current

Find a section of river that has the most even flat bottom as far as possible accross (I use a portable depth finder for this), then use something like a light window weight to drag the spot to make sure there's no major snags or obstacles in the way before putting the trotline there.

I like to keep the fish I catch in a suspended live net off the boat dock until I'm ready for a mass fish cleaning and have someone to assist. If you're planning on eating them and holding them in a basket or net, remember one important thing; these fish are NOT HARDY out of the water for long and one of the worst things you can do is to handle them with your hands, it removes or disturbs the slime on their bodies which is important for their survival. Use a landing net to get them in the boat and dump them from the net into a livewell or cooler, and then get them to the holding area ASAP, which is a very good reason to have the trotline close to the dock when targeting buffs.

They''ll fool you sometimes, it's not unusual to not even realize you have a fish on until you bring them up into the light, then watch out because they explode and you've got a fight on your hands. When I fillet them I take one big slab, ribs and all, from each side. I use my portable sawsall often to cut through the ribs on the larger ones.

Good luck.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    My apologies Todd, without asking you first I went ahead and posted this on your thread. I hope there was no harm done, none was intended, I just didn't think to ask you first.

4. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    And........ one other very important thing I forgot to mention, and that is for buffs don't use large hooks, #1 or 1/0 are perfect size because they have small mouths.

5. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Yall really eat buffalo? Whats it like?

6. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Mo, buff is delicious, white, flakey meat; you just have to learn to how to deal with the fine y-bones in them. Buff rib cages are popular because the rib bones are so big you eat the meat off the bone just like you would a piece of chicken, no fine bones in the ribs.

I had a thread here, 'How To Eat A Buff', but Whistler is currently editing it to put in the library or BOC Diner forum.

check these threads out for more info:

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34457&highlight=question+buffalo

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27826&highlight=question+buffalo

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88875&highlight=question+buffalo&page=2

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89365

7. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    Thanks for the info Larry. Whole lotta good stuff there. Cant wait to get started. No harm done, grateful for the information.

8. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I guess I gotta try it one day. I've eaten gar,loved it. I have caught alot of hell for eating it,but who cares. I am an adventurous eater. Whats a good way to catch buffalo on r/r? Never done it intentionally.

9. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'll tell you how they do it from the boat dock here; doughballs made from wheat flour, canned spinach with lots of garlic powder, along with sardines on occasion; deadlining right on the bottom as for carp. This has been the popular buff bait in this locale for years, probably decades; if you've checked my dough recipe you'll see this is the 'green stuff', I simply incorporated it into my soured/fermented grain concoction.

One older lady hooked into one this summer that literally pulled her over out of her lounge chair and nearly into the river but she let the pole go into the water. There are some monster buffalo suckers here now, because commericial fishing stopped here about 20 years ago and buffalo was one of, if not the main fish they sought.