Buffalo Carp as live bait for catfish

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Spencer_Blanton, May 17, 2006.

1. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    All,

I've searched the forums on this and only came up with cut bait references. I'm able to catch them pretty easily in a creek near my house. They stay alive pretty well, and I had hoped to use them. Anyone else use them? How big seem to work best or is too big? Do you modify them (scale or cut, etc.)? Your thoughts?

Spencer

2. catfishcentral

catfishcentral New Member

State:
    OK
    I very much like using buffalo when I catch them in the cast net from time to time. If there not too big under two pounds they will go on a limbline. Anything bigger gets cut for drifting.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    are you sure they arent quillbacks? buffalos are pretty rare around here, i have only seen them caught south of the last dam in hamilton. either way, i havent used buffalos, only ones i have caught were 10lb+ but i have used quillbacks up to a pound and a half before. when using baits that big i'll use a "double hook" rig with one near the tail and one right on top of the head. rather than trying to cast something that big i'll place them out with a canoe.

4. Spencer_Blanton

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    You have me there. Let me describe it and maybe you can tell me. I regret not taking a picture. I couldn't find a match on the DNR site. I caught them in a creek by the house via cast net. They spooked at worms and corn. They were in schools of 3 to 15 in number. They are currently near spawn because a female shot eggs all over Tim's jacket. :lol: The mouth is small and down turned, but I don't remember barbels. The lower fins were white and the top dorsel fin is dark grey. The female's dorsel fin had a long flare to it like a sword tail guppy. The fish was not as slick/slimy as what I am used to on a carp. The scales were large. I can't remember anything else.

Spencer

5. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sounds like a quillback to me since you said its top fin has a really long spine. they are usually really light in color unlike a carp. i caught one as a kid on the ohio river and i remember thinking it looked like a carp/sucker/threadfin shad half breed. THEY ARE AN AWESOME LIVE BAIT!

6. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Spencer, yup, definately sounds like a Quillback Sucker when you describe it, no barbels, smaller mouth and the dead giveaway is the swordlike dorsal fin. sizes range from 7" to about 15" with those 1 lb fish the most common. more silver thena carp and mostly tough to catch with bait but I do get them regularly in the GMR right below the dams with small crayfish patterns n the fly rod and even more common if Im throwing floating crank baits, and rip them down I always snag them in the back, :tounge_out: They love faster skinny water and always cruise on top of submerged concrete looking ofr food as there mostly algea/grub eaters it seems. I once caught a big one on a dough ball, go figure!
    I bet there spawning and once there done, they will disapear from your creek so Id get them while you can...

Salmonid

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    My wife caught a 33 3/4# Tabby that had a 2-3# Carp with its tail and a few scales stickin out of it stomach. It still took half of a 11" Shad (hint).

8. Spencer_Blanton

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    Great information guys. Thanks.