Buffalo Bait and Tips

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by GMC FishHauler, Mar 17, 2009.

1. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    I posted this in another spot, but it would be hard to find. Buffalo make great cut bait and are easy to catch. Fishing for them is cheap and really fun. Here is how I do it.

ok, here we go. This is gonna be long, but it is the best bait I have found for buffalo.

First take a one gallon bucket and fill it 3/4 with the cheapest range cubes at the feed store. About 6.50 for a 50lb bag. Be sure that it is not the pure cotton seed cubes.

Put enough water in the bucket so that it is just barely covering the range cubes. Let them melt over night.

Take another one gallon bucket or big mixing bowl and grab handfulls of the melted range cubes (mash) and put in it. Start off with a small amount, like 1/4 gallon. Be sure that there are no hard chunks in there, toss those back in the other bucket to be remelted.

Add garlic powder or minced garlic to the mix. I like to add 1/2 cup per gallon of "mash" so that gives you a starting point to adjust your mixture from. There are several other things you can add to make your bait more effective like "limburg" cheese (1/4 lb per gallon), black pepper (2 TBL spoons per gallon), cinnamon (1 TBL spoon per gallon), and anise oil (2 t-spoons per gallon). But the garlic and mash is a good cheap basic bait that works by itself

Whatever recipe you decide yo use, you need to make it into a dough ball. For this you need flour. I use all-purpose just because that is what was available. Start by adding two cups per gallon of "mash mixture" and mix really well.

Continue to add flour to the mash by the handful until you can make it into a tight ball. But do not over do it. Too much flour and the treble hook can not come free fast enough to get the buff.

I always leave my bait a little "loose" and add more flour when fishing. That way the bait can be adjusted to the temp. When warmer it needs more flour, colder less.

As far as fishing with this bait here are the steps:

1. CHUM---you remember that 50lb bag of range cubes? 15-30 mins before you plan on catching a fish, toss a half gallon or so out into the area. Toss them by the handfull and "shotgun" the area. Cover about 20yrds around the area you can cast to. This requires a pretty good arm so toss them hard

2. Wait---I use this time to get set up. I like to take a lawn chair and 2 forked sticks per rod (will explain later down) get set up on a nice flat spot of bank with as little wind as possible. Rig up your rod with #2 or #4 treble hook, mono line (HI vis prefered), and NO weight. Just hook nothing else.

3. Fish--- Make a dough ball on the treble hook. I like to make it resembler the "cubes" that you tossed earlier. Make it heavy enough to toss where you chummed. Set your rod FLAT use one forked stick close to the tip and one close to the reel. High enough off of the ground so that you can grab in a hurry from your chair. Leave a little slack in the line, just enough so it makes a belly but not coils. When a buff picks up the bait wait till he starts to tighten the line and swing for the fences. A good hard, sweeping hookset is needed to take up the slack and stick the fish. Because of the feeding habits of buffalo, you will hook them all over. I have about a 25% mouth hookup, 25% back, 25% belly, and 25% tail hookup rate. You never know where you are gonna stick these fish!!!!
    Bring them in gently because their flesh and mouth can rip really easily. I usually use a 7' M action spinning rod and 12lb Stren neon green line. I have caught over 20 fish in one afternoon fishing this way.

TIPS---- The hole that you are fishing is gonna get better after it has been chummed several times. I will chum an area for upto a week before I ever fish it sometimes. This is when I plan on just sitting back and "buffaloing" all weekend.

Use only sharp hooks. You want that hook as deep as you can get it, they have to be sharp.

If you are getting alot of "short" pulls, set the hook as soon as it pulls a couple of times. These might be educated fish that just pick up and spit out a bait until it is disolved on bottom. You can suprise them ever now and then, but you hardly ever hook them in the mouth.

The more buffs that get into an area the better they pull. They will grab your bait and try and swim away from the other fish once there gets to be a crowd.

Jumping fish is a good thing. When a hole starts to fill with buffs they will jump outta the water like a hooked bass. I don't know why they do this, but it is a good sign.

If you start to catch channel cats or carp, the buffs are not there. If you are catching channel cats and they suddenly stop biting, either a big cat or a "herd" of buffs are moving in.

PM me if you have any questions or if I left anything out.
    I buff fish alot and love these monsters. They make great bait too.

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    James,

I have a friends that are hardcore carpfisherman. They carp fish all over the country and tell me that next to the quilback sucker, the buffalo is one of the hardest fish to get to eat baits.

They are a tough fish to catch.

3. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    I love fishing for buffalo and will have to try this. They get so big and put up a really good fight.