Buffalo-Are there different types?

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by dab_602000, Oct 29, 2007.

1. dab_602000

dab_602000 New Member

State:
    Ft. Worth Texas
    I like carp fishing but I catch some buffalo in there too. Are there differnt types of buffalo? They are all real big and put up a huge fight. They look like carp but have a huge forehead. Hard to tell them apart.

2. Coloman

Coloman New Member

State:
    Soddy Daisy, Tn
    Buffalow do not have "wiskers"

3. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Buffalo lack barbels, are very slimy (almost like a channel cat during spawn), and usually have a silver tint to them. Very interesting colors as well, some almost have blue in them. I have heard the big ones fight hard, but the little ones are like reeling in sticks. They are also light biters, they play with a bait for a long time before taking it.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i catch lots of buffs.
    There are two "main" types. Smallmouth and largemouth buffs.
    The book says that the smallmouth is most common in my area, is pinkish - silver. The large mouth are also in my area but not in numbers. They are blueish silver.
    I guess i have caught them both, i thought it was just different colors of same species. We call the large mouths "blue pancakes"

5. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I target and catch a lot of smallmouth buffs with boilies on trotline. I cannot say with certainty that I have ever caught a largemouth.

6. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    how do you clean them and maybe some pictures:eek:oooh:

7. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    FRESHWATER BUFFALO
    Bigmouth Buffalo​
    Colloquial names: common buffalo, gourdhead buffalo, redmouth buffalo fish, stubnose buffalo, mud buffalo, lake buffalo, slough buffalo

Scientific name: Ictiobus - Greek cyprinellus - Latin

Size: Commonly up to 30 inches and 15 pounds (6.8 kgs), but 30-40 pound fish are not unusual.

Buffalo Smallmouth​
    Colloquial names: blue pancake, brown buffalo, suckermouth buffalo, rooter, razorback, quillback buffalo, carp, humpedback buffalo, liner, roachback

Scientific name: Ictiobus - Greek bubalus - Greek

Size: Smallest of the buffalofish, but can grow up to 15 pounds. It is usually considered superior in flavor to the other species.

Quillback​
    Colloquial names: carpsucker, American carp, silver carp, eastern carpsucker, plains carpsucker

Scientific name: Carpiodes - Latin cyprinus - Greek

Size: Most adult quillbacks fall into the 12 to 15 inch class and weigh 3 pounds or so.

Status: Buffalo fish have three primary species. The three species often mix and commonly are caught together. They do vary in appearance. Buffaloes are available fall thru spring of the year.

The bigmouth are the largest of the buffaloes. They are most abundant in large rivers and fertile shallow lakes.
    The smallmouth buffalo are more laterally compressed, have more of a humpback than the bigmouth. The smallmouth are more of a river fish, navigating depths and currents that bigmouth tend to shy away from. These fish are caught more abundantly by commercial fishermen.
    The quillback are abundant in clearer streams and lakes. Small streams occasionally have populations, but their abundance is usually rare.

Nutritional value: The buffalofish, very similar to carp, is high are protein (17%), relatively low in fat (7-8%), and contains no carbohydrates.

Features and benefits: Buffaloes resemble carp, but have firm whiter meat and fewer bones. All of which makes high quality buffaloes excellent value for the dollar. Many consumers, with the fondness to fish, likens buffaloes to catfish. These fish can be cooked (even as gefilte fish), but in the Midwest United States, these fish are usually deep fried.

Product forms: Buffalo can be processed as either whole frozen, head on and gutted frozen, headed and gutted frozen, fillets (skin on or skinless) frozen, and mechanically deboned(minced).

8. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    There is only five(5) species of Buffalo;
    Bigmouth Buffalo (Ictiobus Cyprinellus)
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/sucker/

Smallmouth Buffalo (Ictiobus Bubalus)
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/smallmouthbuffalo/

Black Buffalo (Ictiobus Niger)
    http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/blackbuffalo/

The other 2, Fleshylip Buffalo (Ictiobus Labiosus) and the Usumacinta Buffalo (Ictiobus Meridionalis) are of little concern, they are located in Central America and the lower part of Mexico.

9. dab_602000

dab_602000 New Member

State:
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Yea they are diffinatly hard to catch. I like to have my pole set on a 45 with the line slack. When I see the line get tight I hit it. If I wait to long they just spit it back out. I love to catch them here on the big lakes. My biggest one so far is 31#s. It took me 45 min. to get it in. That was so fun. I dont eat them.Just love the fight and rush catching them. Thanks for the info:wink: