Buffalo,anyone?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by cat-chaser, Nov 29, 2006.

1. cat-chaser

cat-chaser New Member

State:
    Texas
    Assistance Needed Please!! I'm about to start pursuing these beasts (buffalo-don't know which model) in a couple of locations near where I live.When I was in Louisiana,the big ones were prized for their ribs & I know of a few places around here where I should be able to catch a few if I have the right bait.Any tips on something very easy to make that will help me catch some of these big fish.I've seen some that were 20lbs +,easily & I know they'll put up a helluva fight.I don't want carp,I want buffalo but won't they bite the same baits?Any & all advice will be considered.

2. CatHound

CatHound New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Most of the Buffalo species can be caught on worms or nymphs under a float or on top with fly gear using immitations of the local adult insects. You could also use a worm/marshmellow combination to fish the bottom.

As you have probably noticed from you observations, Buffalo tend to hang out in the shallow areas with muddy bottoms and/or vegetation. Kind of the same areas you will find carp and sometimes catfish. Many people catch them while fishing for either carp or catfish.

Like carp, they are great fighters and tend to duke it out with you all the way to the net. However, if you are hoping to see them go airborn, it probably won't happen. They, again like carp, are more bruisers and will just test your knots under the water.

Use the same gear that you would use for large carp or big catfish on them. If you have 20+ pounders available, you are in for a treat when you catch one.

I've have not caught any on dough baits, but it seems that you could do it if you used the right ingredients to make the dough. I have heard of a fellow angler say that he was catching them on insect suet, which really sounds feasible, but I have not tried that approach either.

Good luck and enjoy !

3. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    A fishing buddy of mine often throws out dough balls for them. They consist of vanilla, flour, cornmeal. It seems to work. Hope my small bit of Info works for ya !!!

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i target buffalo when cats arnt biting and contrary to popular belief they are mighty tasty. I use my own homemade bait.

1 gal of 20% range cubes
    2 cups milo or bird seed
    1 old beer
    1lb flour
    12 0z garlic powder

Take cubes and milo put in 3 gal (or 5 gal) bucket; add water until it is 1" over the top of the cubes, let sit over night. In morning take paint stick and stir in beer until there is no solid cube in the bucket (this is pretty easy). Add all the garlic and stir some more. Leave all this in the bucket, may stink but does not hurt the fish catching abilities.

Take a gallon zip lock bag and fill it half full of ur cube mash. Add a handfull of flour and mix by hand until makes a good dough ball, test the ball by pulling. Keep adding flour until it gets doughy and strings when u pull it. This is the completed bait.

If you want to target buffalo and nothing else put this bait on semi large treble hook with no weight. make a pretty big ball.

When it is casted out leave some slack in the line and wait until they pull it tight then set the hook hard. a longer rod helps this by taking some of the slack.

The problem with buffalo is that they barely bite. they just kind of suck up the bait and pull it where they wanna go. this is why u have to set the hook really hard so u can pull that treble thru the doughball and hook them. I usually hook them in the bottom of their head but not in mouth.

5. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    one more thing, just keep the sweets outta the bait if you want to not catch carp. Carp seem to want something sweet and they are much more aggressive eaters so keep the big red and wheaties at home.

If you toss some of the left over cubes<not melted> into the river or lake then it works to bring them in. takes about 30 mins to an hour for them to really get goin but after a few days of this you will see them jumping and raising hell all around your hole!

6. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    the best bait i think right now is soybean meal in banana nut flavor

5 pounds soybean meal
    2 can creame corn
    bottle of banana nut flavor just mix it all together pack it around a suger pop on a hook and just throw it out.

btw-as some one posted before,buffs bite real lite so dont use a clicker just put a peice of play dough or clay on ur line and just wait for it to start bouncin

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks Guys I like buffalos to I never caught them on any thing but Worms going to run me some copys of the recipe:big_smile: s

8. 1 cattin dude

1 cattin dude New Member

State:
    Jonesboro, Arkansas
    Sometimes, you can drive through the shallows at night and they will jump right in your boat. I'm not kidding, it happened to me this summer. It scared the crap out of me!:lol:

9. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Go to the Libary and get in the bait section ,you should find everything you want about them and what bait to use.Myself I always had good luck with Strawberry flavored dough bait.They are fun to catch.

10. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    Do they stay shallow are year or do they go deep when it's cold. And whats the best time of the year to catch em, and what kind of water do I need to look for?

11. GMC FishHauler

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    lol, look for anywater that you can chum!
    I think these fish never stop eating. they like a muddy bottom to feed on. and they like about 7-12' of water. This has been my obsercation where i fish. U will know when they are in tha area and feeding because they will jump and throw tails outta the water.
    Also use a place with a wind break so u can see the bite
    stay low so fish cannot see u, or wear camo. This is important sometimes
    and keep some towels around becuz these fish are slimey

12. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    i have a friend that cought a 50 pound buff out of one of the rivers here in nc,and i saw another guy catch 4 common carp, all over 20 pounds.there all over the place so u just gotta have the right bait,and the right bait for here right now is soybean.

13. countrycat15

countrycat15 New Member

State:
    gastiona,nc
    IMO the best time to catch big buffs is october thru december.

14. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was just going to write a thread on buffalo. I have only managed to snag 2 big scales off of one. I heard from a member that they are crazy for your bait in the spring.

15. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky

dum question: what is insect suet and where do you get it?