The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This year I became interested in round baitcasting reels for cat fishing. I never thought of using baitcasters for cat fishing before, but after watching several videos where guys were using them to haul in monster cats I thought I'd give it a go.

For my first round reel I got this Abu Garcia AMBSX-6600. I matched it with a Field & Stream Tec-Spec Black 7' 6" HF. I spooled the reel with 40lb PowerPro and headed down to the water. It took quite a few tries before I got any kind of distance without backlashing or slinging the bait off the hook. It felt extremely clunky at first, like I was a hockey player trying to swing at a baseball. Eventually it got easier and I started to enjoy casting with this type of setup, as opposed to my old Okuma Fina spinning reel on a Ugly Stik GX2.

After a few outings I have to say I'm pretty impressed with this budget reel. Yes, there are certainly better and more expensive options out there, but if you can't afford those then this is definitely not a bad reel to start out with for $80. Gear ratio is 5:3:1, has 12.5lbs of drag and it casts decently. It also has some backbone - I pulled in two cats, 9lbs and 6lbs, and several 10lb + piles of weeds without any effort. It even comes with a clicker

I enjoyed using this setup so much I decided to purchase another one. It's definitely more of an upgrade than the Abu, but I'll save that for another review.

·
Registered
318 Posts
My first Ambassador was a 5000 I got about 1970. Used it a lot of years till I lost it in a house fire. Today I have three more; a 2500, another 5000 and a 6500. Love my Ambassador's! I do have a Daiwa Millionaire I got for next to nothing when Joes went under. Haven't used it a whole lot but seem's to be a very good reel. Also got a new Kastking Rover recently but havent used it a lot yet. It too seems to be a good reel, $45! I probably wouldn't buy another Ambassador today, getting to expensive for me. But I do love mine and I do expect they will out last me!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts