Budget Rod and Reel Set-Up

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by BajaCoop, May 7, 2007.

1. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    What would be a good rod and reel setup for catfishing for somewhere in the 100 dollar or so range.

Since I am only going to be where I am until August I can't really justify spending too much on a set-up to just hang it on the shelf in August and not use it much for awhile.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Visit your local Wal-mart. Berkley rod is about $20.00 and you can get a abu reel for about 50.00.

3. turtle1173

turtle1173 New Member

State:
    Mayfield, KY
    Ed,

Do you want to buy on the Internet or locally?

If I remember correctly, you are in Sikeston. Go over to Southern Rod n Gun and get you one of their 8' Berkley reflex rods. It is $29.99. If you want a decent reel locally, you can get the Shakespeare Tidewater at Wal-mart for $34.95. If you want a good reel on the Internet, you can usually pick up a nice used Penn 209 on Ebay for $20-$30.

The 42 & 71 here recently were both caught with the Reflex rod, a Garcia 7000 reel and 65 lb Power Pro line. I like my Penn's better than the Garcia but I got a good deal on it at the time.

4. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have looked at the abu and they just don't look like as good of a reel as they used to be.

My dad has some old ones and they just seem to be alot better than the newer ones.

I have looked at the penns but i don't know about buying them off ebay. A fishing reel is something i like to hold in my hand and play with before I buy it. I have always had pretty nice spinning and casting reels and a reel that is rough would just bug the crap outta me.

What is your opinoins on the newer penn reels?

I kinda like the larger line capacity that the penns have over the ammbassador reels so that I can have 200 yards or so of heavy line.

5. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Im sold on the ProAngler Tackles PATC50 Reels...$55

They now sell a catfish rod. I have not gotten one, but have read alot good stuff about em... Their combo runs around $85 + shipping...

6. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    You can check out ur local Wal-Mart they nomally have a Abu 6000 reel and a Berkely Lighting Rod for about 55 to 60 bucks.

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I've got an Abu 6500 that's needing work after about 4 years of use. The levelwind is shot, and it's needed new drag washers since I bought it. I've got a Penn Jigmaster 500 that I bought in 1966; I recently had to have the clicker repaired...that's it, for 40 years of salt & fresh water fishing.

8. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    I'm definitely a big fan of Penn. The older, the better. It's just like muscle cars -- you break it, you fix it. Doesn't mean you have to go and buy a new one when something goes wrong. They're built to last. However, I don't know much about the new ones other than they aren't built in the US of A.

9. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    Oh, and on the budget part -- my first catfish combo was a Shakespeare rig that I got at Wal-Mart for less than $40 and I still love it. Heck, it's smoother than my Penn.

10. BajaCoop

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    I have bid on 2 of the old penn 209's on ebay

and will probably go with turtle's advice on the berkley reflex rod.

If i get a good deal on the penns I can have 2 rod/reels for about 120 bucks.

11. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I say go with Wal Mart would be the quick solution but if you want a Penn, which is my preferred reel then you cant beat Ebay. I have two 209's I bought off of Ebay. One for 21.00 and one for 28.00. I put them on Eagle Claw Cat Claw rods that cost 19.00 a piece. That is two good quality rod and reels for around $100.00 You can get the Cat Claw off of Catfish Connection too.

12. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    While looking at old Penn's you might consider the Penn 9.It is much smaller than the 209,about the size of a Abu 5000-6000.Stay away from the Penn 109 as it is not a true freespool.
    Jake

13. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    HEY BROTHER EVERY ONE ELSE HAS ALREADY ADVISED YOU WELL , BUT I FEEL AS THOUGH I NEED TO JUST SAY THIS . THE PEOPLE HERE ARE GREAT AND OFFER EXCELLENT ADVISE THAT COMES FROM YEARS OF FISHING EXPERIENCE .WITH OUT THEM YOU CAN SPEND MONEY AND NOT BE HAPPY , BUT WHY GO THAT ROUTE . FOLLOW THE ADVISE OF THE BIGGEST FISHING BROTHERHOOD ON THE WEB AND FISH WORRY FREE . BUT I AM SURPRISED NO ONE EVEN MENTIONED THE UGLY STICK CATFISH ROD AT WALLY WORLD FOR $10 BUCKS MORE THAN THE REFLEX ROD . THEN YOU WOULD HAVE A ROD WITH I BELEIVE A SEVEN YEAR WARRANTY TO GO WITH YOUR REEL THAT WILL LAST A LIFETIME .

14. DM1975

DM1975 New Member

State:
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Well said cathouse.

While the 109 is not a free spool it is still a great reel I think. I love mine. It casts great and works great. The crank handle spins when you cast it but it is no problem.

15. cathouse

cathouse New Member

State:
    NY
    The 109 is not a "true" free spoll but that does not make it less of a suitable reel .It was dubbed the knuckle buster for that very reason , while i don,t own one personally i have casted one a couple of times and its not that hard to keep those fingers out of the way knowing that you could get a nice wack on the knuckles if you get them in the way if you forget once you remmember the next time after the tingling stops LOL .

16. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have a 109 so I can talk bad about them.The first 20 years of me fishing all reels had those spinning handles and I loved them but turning gears and handles will take away some casting distance.This don't mean I don't think they are good reels which they are but are inferior for most types of fishing than the 9 which is the same size.
    Jake

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I bought two of the new 220gto and it seems to be a great reel so far i like them better than the 309. their not as smooth as the gti i dont think but their smoother than my okuma classics. theirs a guy on ebay that was selling them for 59.99 buy it now with free shipping. cabelas also has them for 59.99,+a 9' king kat rod 19.99 around $80.

18. McDreamy

McDreamy New Member

State:
    nc
    or u can go to bass pro shop they have round baitcaster combos for 44$ with bait clickers. they are pretty decent reels i use them cause i cant afford abu's plus parts for them are interchangable with shakespeare skp serries reels

19. nralover

nralover New Member

State:
    Festus, Missouri
    Not to hijack the thread, but what an cute child in your photo:) I try to be a tough guy, but babies make me a big ole softy...

20. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    if u have a cabelas near u, u can go into their bargain bin and look at their rods. some need new tips or eyes and u can get them for half price or less. U can also pick up "outdated" reels there that are still new for a good deal.