Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live near omaha Nebraska and usually fish in lakes but I want to know whats a good rod for the fast current of the missouri river that can hold a decent amount of lure weight for a budget? Recommendations will be great.

·
Registered
9,521 Posts
Rippin lips is probably the cheapest and still being able to throw big weight and have a quality rod

If your budget is up to $100 I'd go with one of these for $84

·
Premium Member
11,330 Posts
I think the Rippin Lips (Heavy) would be a good choice for $54.00. I have several older Rippin Lips Medium Heavy rods and have found them to be good quality.

For strong current the heavy is the way to go.

tight lines

·
Registered
483 Posts
Academy ProCats or Ugly Stik Catfish series. There both really tough for the money

·
Registered
277 Posts
There are several low cost cat rods out there. SouthBend, Shakesphere, make a couple I really like. I have one of the Berkeley Big Game Walmart rods and it’s not to bad either. Several have the glow tip on them. I would just make sure to stay in the heavy and no less than medium heavy. For throwing heavy weights and big baits. Good luck

·
Registered
Steven from Georgia
1,070 Posts
I bought some meat hunter customs for just under $50 each. There heavy duty big river rods. Assembled in america.

·
Registered
5,534 Posts
Don't recall the brand but I was in Academy Sports, Evansville, IN. last week killing time between Dr. appointments. They had several heavy rods both casting and spinning at just a tad under 30.00 dollars. Everything else seemed to be pretty well picked over and inventory low.

·
Registered
696 Posts
How much weight is a decent amount?

·
Registered
Ron from Northwest Texas
51 Posts
Okuma Longitude's 9-12'rs in spinning and casting.I have 9,11 and 12 and for the coin damn hard to beat,think I paid $80 for the most expensive one.I've caught blues and flatheads in the 30-50lb range with all of them.I did have one huge flathead snap a 12'r(50lbs plus)..........but he did something I've never seen before,pulled up around a tree and sling shotted off.I'm not sure they make a rod that could withstand the force this beast put out.Replacement rod cost me $30 plus shipping........Okuma stands behind their rods.

·
Premium Member
Bill. South Dakota
2,121 Posts
The ones I use are bnm silvercat magnums on fast flows like Missouri. Below the dams will use 8 to 16oz weights. After 10oz about all I do is lob it out there.

For straight behind boat will use the mediums with 6 to 8 oz.

If fishing right below boat will use a Berkley cat rod and 16 oz plus.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts