Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ugly stik catfish casting rod and I need a reel for it. I'm on a tight budget of $40-50 so I need recommendations on a decent reel. I'll be catching channel and blue cats mainly with some fish in the 20 to 25lb range with an occasional flathead thrown in the mix. I'm also doing 99% of my fishing from the bank. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
9,732 Posts

·
Registered
Josh from Alabama
119 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
I got the Kastking Rover 40 and love it. Truth is there's lots of inexpensive reels ot there that might suit you. Someone mentioned the Shakespere above and no clue what they are like but, I have an old Shakespere 2000 that is really surprising me how well I like it. Not a hundred dollar reel but I use it on Channels and works fine. I suspect it would be fine up to 20# fish. I also have an Ocuma level wind line counter reel that has worked out really well for me. Would like to see one of those Piscifun reels. Like the looks and read a few good reviews on them. Other than the Shakespere and Ocuma, I have ABU's and a Daiwa Millionaire and one old Penn. ABU and Daiwa won't go for $50 but you might be able to find a used Penn for around that. Come to think of it I think I saw a couple used ABU's for that the other day. OOPS! You didn't say what kind of reel your looking for, Casting or spinning. If it's spinning I can't help you. Only have 3 spinning reels that might work and they are very, very old. But had an Ocuma that I gave to a guy looking for a spinning reel. I'd never used it as I only use casting reels for catfish but seemed to me to be a very nice reel. I have an Ocuma ultra light and if it's any clue, they are very nice. You should not have much trouble finding a decent reel for the money you have to spend.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I run a couple Piscifun Chaos 50's along side my Penn Warfare's on my boat and have some on my 10ft bank setups. They are hard to beat for the money, great casting reels, good drag and they are smooth. I like the size of the 50 also and the thumb rest. Only wish the clicker was a tad bit louder is my only complaint. I've caught some good fish on those reels from the bank and boat.

Check for discount codes and order from the website, they usually have 20 and 25 percent off codes frequently. Believe it was under $90 for the last two reels I bought with a 25 percent off coupon. Just looked and promo code MH25 gets you 25 percent off on the chaos.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I too am impressed with my KK Rover 40, for the price. I might also suggest checking your local pawn shops (if you have any local ones) and any yard sales you see with fishing equipment. I have heard tails of excellent condition Aubs 6500 for $35.00 at such places but have never encountered one personally. Good Luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
eBay - vintage Pflueger Rocket either 1365 or 1375 . All metal USA made & you can buy some $2 Penn carbon fiber washers that fit it (6-155 I believe ) and it'll even look good while reeling in fish

1 - 20 of 28 Posts