Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any experience with some of the cheaper braids on Amazon or ebay? Gets costly doing a lot of reels, any recommendations on them or just suck it up and go with the expensive stuff.

·
Registered
30 Posts
It has been my experience that you get what you pay for. Ebay is plagued with Chinese scammers. Last batch of supposedly 65lb braid test braid was supposedly listed as being 8 stranded, turned out to be only 4, and it wouldn't dead lift 20lbs. Honestly I think I was sold sewing thread. To help with cost I started backing all my reels with mono and using "cheap" 150 yard spools of braid. It is a bit of an initial PITA though, I start by putting an entire 150 yard spool of braid on the reel, then fill it up to capacity with mono, then strip off the mono and braid with a drill, then put back on the mono, and finally the braid. So now if my braid gets frayed or broken off, I can just strip off the braid and put new on.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Big game mono never once let me down Cat fishing. Don’t get me wrong. I broke fish off but not because of my line. When a big flat head wraps you in a tree, anchor rope won’t help much. Mono slips around limbs! Braid digs in. Braid has its place! But heavy cover river fishing I see no extra help. Maybe blue cats in super swift currents where your trying to reduce line drag ? I found that boat position was the key to solving most of my issues. That took time to learn the tricks. My .02

·
Registered
Aaron from Indiana
163 Posts
I’m running Piscifun 80 lb orange braid on my reels and so far so good, but I haven’t had the opportunity to test it against any big fish yet.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
KastKing here as well..20, 40, 50, 60, and 80. Their thicknesses are in the lower range of the diameters of most braided lines, they are strong and cast very well. KastKing is Made in America ...dont get no better than that.

A tip: I use food grade silicone lubricant on my braided line when spooling the line and then do a touch up on the spooled line every now and then. The line stays in great shape for years. When the top shot of the line is looking a little worn (well before it looks worn out), I reverse spool the line and its like starting with new line all over again. I then treat it with the silicone lube and use it again for a good number of years....so, braided line will last a long time and it is a good investment if it is taken care of.........cheaper than changing out inexpensive mono every year or so.

Also, if you are using heavy weight and bait and casting hard, use a mono shock leader to absorb wear and tear on the braid when casting. It gives your braid a little cushion and protection from braid to guide wear and sharp or rough objects in the water.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
I have ordered several different brands from Amazon. All were serviceable but some faded to white almost as soon as it got wet, others soaked up water like a sponge one brand so bad I would have water running down my forearm from reeling the line in. The worst experience IMO was a spool that leached the yellow color dye when wet and as well as it stuck to the seat in my boat, my pants and about anything else it contacted I don't know why it wouldn't stick to the line its self.
I would suggest Kast King as some of the others have as a good budget braid. Good Luck.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm picking up some kast king then, was one of the brands I was looking at and it seams its liked well enough. I could add some mono backing but it's just to much of a pain in my opinion, or maybe I'm just lazy and hate knots. Thanks

·
Registered
Steve from Mississippi
1,570 Posts
I am running the 65# Kast King Super Braid on several reels and like it. It is very strong and handles good. It does fade pretty bad but it is good line.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's probably what I'll pick up, one in bright color and one in a dull color for my 2 5601 that will be switched out on my musky and cats rods

·
Registered
90 Posts
Bought cheapo chinese braid many times. Mostly on Ebay, but also on some of the others. All worked fine. Stuck to 4 strand as it's cheaper and never had issue with it. Yeah, on some brands the color runs off and temporarily discolors where it contacts the rod line guides. Some I liked more than others, but overall liked them all, especially considering the price :). Some I thought were as good, or better, as any of the brands here (Proberos to name 1). Even on cheap braid the prices have gone up. Academy has a house brand catfish braid, always bright green, that's almost as cheap as china braid and is pretty good. Never had any issue with line strength. Perhaps I've been lucky.
Add in that you can find many differing colors and line strengths/lb test not normally found here makes it more appealing as well.

·
Registered
KY, USA
191 Posts
Piscifun Onyx 30 lbs. I have bought two spools, both from Amazon Warehouse, open box deal, which save me a few bucks. The line looks new when they arrived.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts