Buddy had his stuff stolen

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Lignum, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    My fishin buddy had all his equipment stolen yesterday night in the overnight hours. He got me back into the cat fishing scene after a 5 year, had 4 kids spell. He had his 4 surf rods and abu's stolen, along with his tackle bag with everything he had. Now along with him not fishing, I am kind of stuck too. The people that stole it walked into his back yard and lifted them out of his truck. Insurance really doesn't want to file a claim, but he is out about $1200.00. This stinks.:angry:

I have never had anything really valuable stolen of my fishing equipment, but for now on everything gets locked in the basement, even a $10.00 turd wal-mart tackle box.

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    sorry to hear that.i always lock my stuff up,just for that reason.

3. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    Well that's BS !!!!

Like folks will say, check pawn shops. Also this usually will be covered by home owners insurance.

Its a hard lesson to learn. These days people will steal anything..its a shame. I NEVER leave anything out where it can be stolen.

Sorry about your friends luck. I hope he can get some new stuff soon.

-Jim-

4. Gary B

Gary B New Member

State:
    OHIO
    Sorry to hear that.

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Welcome to the BOC Lignum! Man that really sucks someone stole your friends fishing gear. My buddy had the same thing happen to him last year and it was in his garage. The fishing gear is all they took...I guess the price of ABU's must be going up.:sad2:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Ben Welcomew to the BOC. That is sad. Your friend needs to file a police report and an insurance claim. That is why mhe pays that insurance premium for.

7. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    That sucks bigtime! I make it a habit to unload after every trip, no matter how tired I am. Of course unloading for me is backing the boat into the garage and closing the door, lol.

8. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Bad when they need to come out with a LO JACK system for fishing equipment. I need to get in the habit of locking my stuff up. I live so far out in the boonies it gives a false sense of security :embarassed:

9. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    IF HE HAD INSURANCE , THEN WHY NOT FILE A CLAIM?
    YOU PAY HARD EARNED DOLLARS FOR INSURANCE AND THEN DON'T FILE A CLAIM WHEN YOU HAVE ONE????
    THE SUN HAS BEEN PRETTY HOT THIS SUMMER.:eek:oooh:

10. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    That is really a B*tch to have your fishing tackel ripped off ... but I do have a couple of points to make ... If the gear was laying in the back of an open pickup ... he was just asking for someone to take it this day and age .... if this be the case the insurance may not pay for it anyhow ... if it wasn't secured.

The second point is what part of the state did this happen in ?????? I keep harping on here that members need to post what town or least a county that you live ... so ... in this case ... we know there are jerks out there targeting our fishing gear .... So guy and gals ... lets get with it about posting in you profile, where you live ... unless you are ashamed of it ...... Garry-

11. KyLeN

KyLeN New Member

State:
    ohio
    thats pretty sad my grandpa had all his stolen too you know its bad when you HAVE to lock your stuff up

12. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    yea ohio is a big place lets put your town where your from on your profile

13. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Sorry for not placing the location. We live in Cincinnati. I live up almost into Butler County, in Colerain Township, and my buddy lives just inside the city limits. And yes the equipment was in the back of his truck, but his truck was locked up inside the privacy fence. Someone had to hop the fence and walk away from his house.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    first thing i do when i get home even before cleaning fish is hang the rods in the shop and put tackle boxes up. and i always keep the shop dpuble padlocked.:wink:

even if i stop for a beer or to run into walmart i put them in cab and lock it. it only takes 30 seconds to become a victom.

hope ins pays for them.

15. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC , sorry about your buddys stuff, theives are getting more plentiful these days .File that claim with the insurance, thats why he pays for it !

16. Lignum

Lignum New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I do the same thing, but apparently he did not have the same ideas seeing how his truck was behind his fence. He has learned the real hard way this time. Now I have to watch him toss on a fat bluegill with a lite spinning reel with 6 pound test. That ought to be fun to watch.:wink:

17. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nothing I hate more than a thief. What's mine is mine and that's the way I intend to keep it. I had my license plate stolen off my boat trailer while sitting in a parking lot below Truman Dam. It wasn't that I was out much in money just the frustration of dealing with it. Only cost $4.89 to replace it. Far cry from what your buddy is out.

I've gotten to the point that I don't make those stops with the boat behind the truck. Just like was stated earlier...it only takes 30 seconds to steal you blind.

18. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    That is a shame! I think it will get worse before it gets better with the high prices, especially fuel, it is really hurting. People are stealing license plates to use for stealing gas.

19. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Thanks Ben for posting your location .. It is really helpful ... Several years ago while I was living in Florida, I had the buddy bearings removed from my boat trailer two weeks in a row and then 3 weeks later someone broke into my house and stole a bunch of rods and reels, two tackle boxes and 17 guns .... rifles, shotguns and handguns .... I got a mere pitence of the worth from the insurance company for the tackle and almost nothing for the weapons ... since the insurance company said that over 10 weapons was a collection and required a special rider on the policy ... ALL BS ...if you ask me ....... Garry-

20. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It happens here, but I don't think at the frequency it does up north or around large metropolitan areas. We county folks generally have our property secured by big dogs and S&W. Don't have to file too many claims. LOL