Buddy caught a pig yesterday

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by Paraguayguy, Sep 12, 2009.

1. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    But not here. One of my buddies from Paraguay caught this Manguruyu Catfish out of the Paraguay River yesterday. He is taking me to his double secret spot in October when I am there. Makes our Blue Cats seem sickly.

Attached Files:

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Dang! Yep those foreign specimens grow massive. Appreciate you sharing, Reps forthcoming.

3. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    :eek:oooh: Wow that is one hell of a cat he has right there!!!!!!!!! wAS IT CAUGHT ON ROD AND REEL?

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We need to make our grow that big.

5. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    think we can stock some of those here?:eek:oooh:

6. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    WOW i want one a 1/4 that size!:big_smile: great catch

7. Bomberman

Bomberman New Member

State:
    Spring Run, PA
    That's it! I'm selling the house and moving to Paraguay! Anybody got any extra boxes?

Thanks for sharing that photo and send our hearty congrats to your friend!

8. wallerus

wallerus New Member

State:
    Virginia
    What did he use for bait, a neighbor.

9. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Caught on A big Penn Reel with 80 pound Berkeley Big Game Mono, 2 pound shad like baitfish he cast netted earlier. I want to see one of the Oklahoma, Kansas or Missouri Boys noodle that big boy.:wink:

10. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Now If I could only put a 5lb bass or Carp on and catch a Flathead like that in the James at Dutch Gap. Hmmmmm Might have to try it after my vacation is up. :big_smile:

11. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Ummm if Cats like that were lurking in our waters I dont think there would be any Noodlers in Oklahoma, Kansas or Missouri :smile2::wink:

12. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Now that fish might actually spool me like they are talking about in another thread :crazy::eek:oooh::smile2:.

13. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    How long did it take him to reel in that sucker? What's the average size for one of those? Thanks for sharing.

14. SWeiss

SWeiss New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Holy crap! That's a huge fish! Way to go!

15. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Opps, I forgot that important detail. It took him five hours to get the fish in. The usual,,He was getting some bites on the two pound bait but thinking it was nibblers he picked up his pole to reel it in and recast. The line wouldn't budge and he thought it was hung up. The Paraguay has lots of current and with the big bait , he thought the bait might have washed downstream and gotten hung up. After screwing around with the line he was at the point of tieing the line off on a cleat to break it off when the fish decided to start fighting. He caught it on an ancient Penn Reel and a made in Korea piece of shixxxxxxx rod. Five hours fighting during which they pulled the anchor to follow the fish. The fight ended downstream 1/2 mile from the hook up. They beached the boat on a big sand bar to drag the fish up on the beach. No way could they lift it in the boat without capsizing.

The Manguruyo Catfish are normally 20-40 pounds when you see them in the fish markets. Occasionally you hear of a 100 pounder. Big fish like this are something you hear the old men talking about that swam the river in their youths. In a poor country like Paraguay, if it hits the deck of the boat, its got a date with hot oil.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2009
  16. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Thanks for the piture Kenneth wow what a fish.I hope to be down in november no date yet or who I am coming down with.

17. fishjunkie

fishjunkie New Member

State:
    montana
    maybe it is all the asian food that make the that big that is one big cat crap need bigger boat

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kenneth that is a WHOPPER. If you go after that species you better upgrade your reel drags. :wink: I hope you catch its moma.

19. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Jerry when you come over in November, I hope I am here. I have to go back and forth down south quite often now and never know what my schedule will be three weeks out. I know one thing,,there is a herd of you Ohio guys that are coming to fish each year and that's a good thing. You should try to make it over late March one year or first week of April when everything is in the river. Cats, Stripers, and shad.