Buckshot

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunting' started by YeeHaw, Feb 27, 2006.

1. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    In IL is it illeagle to hunt turkey with buckshot?

2. brian sax

brian sax New Member

State:
    shawnee kansas
    I dont know about there but here in kansas i think you can only use shot 2-9 or something like that im not sure. I dont see the point in needing buckshot on a turkey, bird shot does just fine. The best sizes i think are 4,5,6.

3. DuckHunterChuck

DuckHunterChuck New Member

State:
    Kansas
    it would be cool to see some OO buck fly right into a turkeys face and blow its head off.

4. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    does anybody in IL know if it's illeagle to use buckshot while turkey hunting.

5. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    Its illegal. Must be a 10,12,16, or 20gauge with No.4-7.5 size shot.

You don't NEED buckshot to kill turkeys and it certainly wouldn't make since to if you wanted to eat the thing. If you had some laying around I can see how you might want to use it.
    http://dnr.state.il.us/admin/systems/Digest/Digest.pdf

6. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Thank you for your post but you don't eat a turkey head. You may, but i don't. Plus the turkey feathers are like armor, and shot barley goes through, but you can still eat it even if it's a body shot with any kind of shot you use.

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    I aint eatin no turkey unless DH cooks it. That is a fact.

8. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    And have you ever noticed that a tom will often present a shot that puts his head only inch or so above his body? Anyways, it doesn't matter...to many of these forums have people bickering like this. If you're really worried about penetration, up the extra dollar (or 10) and use No.4 "hevishot" "Heavyweight" "Xtended Range Hi-Density" or any of these new denser-than-lead alloys. Just be sure your barrel is "steel approved".

9. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    I agree with wolfman.buck shot wouldnt do very well at all on somthing the size of a turkey head,if ya hit it it may do damage but buck shot has to large of a pattern to much to chance if ya ask me.
    to me its all about pattern,if i cant shred somthing the size of a tin can at 35-40yrds i dont want it. i have always used 3 1/2" winchester super X #5 shot cause that is what patterns best out of my fav. turkey gun which is a mossburg 835.
    also your not gonna blow a turkeys head off,I shot a bird a few years ago with a H&R 10ga rite at 8yrds it looked like every one of the pellts where in his head but it didnt come off lol it swelled up real big and turned purple that was about it...not saying it isnt possible and im sure its been done but a turkeys head is alot tougher then most people think.

10. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    i once shot at a deer 3 times with 00 buck between 30 and 50 yards. i never touched him. i know because a friend shot him with a 30/30 after i ran out with my bolt action. another time i shot one at 77 yards with 00 he droped like a rock. one shot hit him just below the ear.