Buckeye Lake...

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by RetiredToFish, May 26, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    BUCKEYE LAKE: A friend told me today that both yesterday and today the boat ramp and parking area were full. He said it was really crazy with people almost coming to blows over launching and loading boats, even though there are two ramps there.

My question is .... does anyone in the area know if this goes on this whole week or usually just for the weekend? I wanted to go out there later this week, but I am not going to fight a bunch of crazies at the dock or on the water, just to fish. .... Garry- :eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

2. catfish_hunter79

catfish_hunter79 New Member

State:
    ohio
    from what i have seen when i go there its only that way on weekends its not that bad mon - thur. fridays is kind busy and at night its almost a ghost town. now when school lets out it get a little crazy but not to bad

3. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    My guess is it's worse this weekend due to the holiday. A LOT of those people were going to the bars on the lake. Buckeye is the one lake you'll find more drunks than fishermen in central ohio.
    I bet it will exactly like that or even worse on july 4th.

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I wasn't sure whether the people that came for the weekend would be taking vacation and staying the whole week or just for the weekend .... I guess if they have kids it would only be for the weekend since school isn't out yet .... Garry- :eek:oooh:

5. Catfish Huntr

Catfish Huntr New Member

State:
    Millersport, Ohio
    RetiredtoFish,
    I am a resident of Millersport and have grown up on the lake all my life. It get's so crowded out here on the weekends, that I head to my camper on the Kokosing River to avoid them. This past memorial weekend I called back to my dad to get a lake report and he said that it was not that busy. Gas prices must have kept alot of the boats off of the lake. (only so many loans are approved for fuel each weekend. lol) During the week is when I hit the lake and there is some good catfihing here but are mostly channels. The past three years I have not caught one Flathead outa the lake :cry: But I continue to try. I plan on riggin up a new live well to keep the shad alive which have allways in the past been the perferred snack by local Flats. I hope to meet a couple of flats and just want to take a couple of pics before sending them on their way.

Thanks
    Catfish Huntr

6. catfish361

catfish361 New Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Gary
    it happens all the time on the weekend there. Most of the people do not know the proper procedure. There are two lanes one is for the people trying to get thier boat in the water and the otehr is for people trying to get off of the water. They need some one ther to direct traffic. Everbody is in a hugh rush and tend to forget to be patient.my advice is to launch early and stay late when it comes to the weekends.
    Try launching out of Leibs island. Alot less traffric.
    Gary if you know where honeydew creek is try fishing in the 90 degree bend about 50 yards into the canal. I tend to catch a bunch of 5 to 10 pound channels there. Right at dusk has always been the best for me when I am there. But it has been 5 years or so since I have4 fished there at Buckeye mud hole,

7. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Thanks for the info Steve .... Tony and I were both surprised the other day, even after all of the traffic of Memorial Day .... the clarity of the water .... Was using a white drift bucket and at times with no wind, the bucket would sink about 2' under the water and we could still read the writing on the bucket ... so I guess maybe they are getting it somewhat cleaned up ... of course we haven't had an algea bloom yet ... so that will affect the clarity too .... Garry- :cool2:

8. Catfish Huntr

Catfish Huntr New Member

State:
    Millersport, Ohio
    The lake has had very few boats on it during the week and there are even less boaters than normal on the lake during the weekend.
    Have a go at it. I was out Wednesday morning with my son and caught 7 nice channel's all in the 2-3 lb range withing 3 hrs and two different location. We were using 3 different types of dip bait and they sure picked on one more than the others. Sonny's super sticky won......

Catfish Hunter

9. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    I never been on Buckeye Lake, but it sounds like Pleasant Hill on the weekends and Holidays. I usually go on the weekdays since I am retired (somewhat, depends on the wife). If you must go out on weekend get there before daylight and wait em out to leave. I have found that pleasure boaters do not like the darkness.

10. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The week ends at Buckeye are always crazey at in the summer.You might try lauching at public landing at either Fairfield Beach or at Leibs Island

11. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I was at Picnic point yesterday (about 4 - 7) the ramp was busy and the lot was packed but it seemed to be going pretty good I didnt see any arguments.

12. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Did you catch any fish Gary? ...... Garry-

13. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    You need to ask :smile2:, I sat there for about 1/2 hour and just left my pole in free spool and told the kids to tell me if there were any clicking sounds LOL. It was in the heat of the afternoon and alot of boat beating up the water so I pretty much just threw it out for the hell of it.

14. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Garry, there is the ramp by the old amusement park which gets a lot of traffic but never any major confusion. Fairfield beach gets very little use and is usually open.

Weekdays are a LOT less hectic.

15. tomh

tomh New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hi Ben,

Glad you got onto this site. Hope to see you soon, perhaps at Dillon.

Tom Householder