Buckeye Lake

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by criss, Aug 18, 2009.

1. criss

criss New Member

State:
    ohio
    Does anyone know why the cats is so poor looking on the lake right now. Had a tourny there Sat. and all the fish looked skinny as all get out.Every other lake i've been in lately the fish has been in good shape.:eek:oooh:

2. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    If I had to live in Buckeye Lake, I would be "skinny as all get out" too.:smile2:

It's very shallow. They are probably spending all their time dodging boat props.:big_smile:

3. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

4. maddcatter

maddcatter New Member

State:
    Newark, Oh
    I've noticed that about buckeye. A lot of the channels seem really skinny.
    I occasionally catch a thick one, but never fat.
    I have no idea why they're skinny like that. Seems to be plenty of food in the lake.

5. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    My personal opinion is that the lake is shallow and hot that their
    metabolism is going at high speed, along with all the other things that come with warmer water (parasites, diseases etc.). Its definately not aa shortage of food. There are millions of shad in that lake. Maybe they can't see through the pea soup water?:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

6. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    My personal opinion is that the lake gets extremely hot during the summer which makes them more susceptible to diseases and parasites. I have fished the lake alot and have notice the same thing. I have also noticed a lot of different critters on and in them over the years. I know its not a lack of food there are a million shad in there. Maybe they can't see them through the pea soup water.:smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

7. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    That lake again is so shallow it's unbelievable. With that the water is so warm.

Bait fish are not all that plentiful in there also. You have to remember a few years back when thousands of fish died off in the lake also from lack of oxygen. Restocking was also done. Alot of variables about that lake to make these things happen.