Buckeye Lake and Dillon Res.

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by RetiredToFish, Dec 20, 2007.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    well guys I am new on here ... I just moved back to Ohio after living 29 years in Florida. Last year was an exceptional year of catfishing for me and I hope to be able to do some serious catfishing here next year. I live in Newark and will be scouting out Buckeye and Dillion ... I have been studing the maps and found several likely places. Now all of my catfishing in Florida was done during the daylight hours in a creek running into the St Johns River. In 25 trips during June, July and August I caught 803 pounds ... all Blue and Channel Cats. Does anyone have any tips on fishing either Buckeye or Dillion?

2. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Well from one Gary to another Garry welcome to the BOC. As far as Buckeye if you have a boat go to cranberry marsh there is pretty decent fishing there and off of Liebs Island and Picnic Point are some fair places also if your banking it. Buckeye is pretty good for eaters 1-5 lbs and from what Ive heard there are some big ones in there but Ive never seen them. Tony Spergin (tspergin) will chime in when he can he knows both those lake like the back of his hand.

Dillon has some bigger Cats in it from Ive been told Ive caught some eater size there also but jason454ci and tspergin will chime in on this lake. There are quite a few guys that fish that lake that know a lot more than I do but over by the spillway at Dillon has some big ones there.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Welcome to the BOC! Good to have you aboard. I'm afraid I can't help though. I've been to Buckeye once in the early 90's but it was for a Grateful Dead show.:smile2:
    I'm sure plenty of people on here will be able to help out on this.:cool2:
    Enjoy your stay,tons of good info and people on here!!!:wink:

4. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    First off welcome to the BOC Garry. Second off go back to Florida, the weather here sucks. :smile2:

Are you bank or boat fishing? Buckeye has tons of channels in it. Most of the channels are on the smaller side. Dillon has good numbers of larger channels. It is not uncommon to get into a mess of 7-10 lbers. Drift fishing from a boat is the best way to catch good numbers on both lakes. Now if bigger fish are on your agenda I would suggest that you visit the Muskingum river and give the flatheads a try. There are also flatheads to be had down the Licking from Newark to Zanesville. But I don't hear much over the 20lb range being caught north of Dillon. Below Dillon there has been good numbers of flats reaching into the 50lb range caught over the years. Hopefully we get some rain next summer, the fishing was a bit slow this year with the lack of water. Looking forward to hearing reports from you when the fishing gets good.

5. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio

Garry, welcome aboard and back to Ohio. The best tip that I can give you is not to listen to any of the guys that have posted or any one that they have referred you to. There are no catfish in Ohio, I repeat there are no catfish in Ohio. Buckeye Lake has nothing but Carp and Dillon is a well known Sucker lake. You may be a sucker if you try fishing them. Stay away from the Muskingum River. It is nothing but Bullheads and Waterdogs. :eek:oooh::crazy::wink::smile2::smile2::smile2: lol

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    jack, for a guy that fishes and is supose not only be a wisea$$, i dunno how you do it? i mean,,, you lead people to the backyard , then you send them over to the neighbors to let their dog take a crap!? i know there there are alot here that don't talk specifics, but you just ...well... you send them to the puddle !!! lol....rollo

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    welcome back garry.. we have some nice fishing around here.. buckeye and dillon hold large numbers of cats, as does the licking and muskingum rivers.. get back out there and get aquainted with the waters and im sure you will do fine... rollo

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Thanks guys .... especially Jack .... I have an old Quachita boat rigged mostly for catfishing ... I finally put a depth finder fish locater on it this last summer and it really paid off in saving time where to fish. The last couple of years have kept very detailed records (in Florida) as to air and water temp, barometer readings and a few other things. I really looking forward to comparing these notes with what I find out fishing in this northern water. After all of this work I can honestly say the only thing that really made any difference is the barometer readings and it held true throughout last summer.

As far as Florida vs. Ohio ... it may be colder here ... but no damn hurricanes which I got hit with 3 of in 2004. All we had down there were Blues and Channels no Flatheads ... so really looking forward to a couple nice ones this summer. Thank you all again.......

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Welcome aboard Garry. Don't let these guys steer you wrong. LOL. I don't know anything about either of your lakes, but I'm sure the info shared in correct. It's about time now to try ice cattin'.

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I'm going up and drift fish for channels on Dillon tomorrow so I'll let you know how the fishing is there now.

11. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Garry, welcome to the BOC. There are alot of good guys here to get to know and to fish with. I have no information on catching cats at Dillion, I go there to catch bait for flatheads. That is the difference between channels, blues and flatheads. Big live bait for flatheads, you can catch them on cut bait certain times of the year but live is the way to go.Bluegills, bass, crappie, carp, suckers, shad and goldfish. You can find goldfish in alot of bait shops if you have trouble catching the wild stuff. Head to the Muskingum for the flatheads. They will average 6 to 20lbs., unless your Jason454ci, then they will average 1 to 4 lbs. Just kidding buddy:wink:. There are fish in the 30 to 50lb range also but they tend to be on the smaller side. Many of us fish the Muskingum and would be happy to help you out. Send me a pm if you want any advice, be glad to take you out and show you around. There also has to be a level of trust between us that target flatheads. If you find a spot on your own or if someone takes you to a spot, don't give too many details on the website. There are lurkers out there who try to benefit on our hard work, and with popularity on the increase for flatheads, there are alot of them out there. Again, welcome.

12. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Thanks Phil .... That has been very helpful. When the weather brightens and warms a bit I will take you up on a trip. I never divulge my locations other than answering the question "Where did you catch them?" .... I caught them in the river ... or in the corner of the mouth. I guess you guys get your bait fish with a cast net ... The net I had been using in Florida for shrimp and bait fish finally started to rot ... so trashed it before heading north. I am most interested in learning techniques for catching the Flatheads. Do you catch them more during the day or at night?

13. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    hi garry, not bumping in on your conversation with phil i hope.. we catch flatheads mostly at night throughout the summer months, however.. early in the spring and late fall they are able to be caught during the light hours as well.. look forward to seeing you on the water this year!! rollo

14. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Hey Jason ... no problem the more the merrier ... :wink: ... I want to learn about the flathead so will try and soak up every bit of info I can ... I have a pretty good handle on catching Blues and Channels ... other than now trying to find the best places, times and conditions for what baits. Maybe some day I will have something of value to add to the conversation.

15. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Welcome to the boc .
    muskium river shovle head hunter. Dresden Pool!
    Good luck! Randy wade

16. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome Garry. Dillon is known for bigger, Buckeye for numbers (Buckeye also has some huge Crappie (Speck). We usually drift with bottom bouncer sinkers circle hooks and cut shad and/or bluegill.

Flatheads are predatorial. I am convinced they bite in the daytime.... I just can't prove it :confused2:

Come to the Muskingum and look for structure near deeper water and current, put on a big live bait (5" up to 3 lbs.) and wait..... and wait....

I've waited 2 years.....

BTW, I am down in Florida as we speak. I am on Lake Toho and everything looks the same. I went up into a feeder creek and missed one and caught a chain pickerel (my first).

Any hints to catching these "speck, shellcrackers, channel cats down here?"

Thanks and welcome to the BOC.

17. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Garry, you can use a net to catch shad, suckers, or creek chubs. It is illegal to catch game fish such as bass, crappie, and bluegills with a net. They must be caught on hook and line. Loanwizard is right about waiting, you may go several trips before you catch a flathead. Once you catch a decent size fish you will be hooked. I don't know if I can speak for anyone else, but once you start catching flats on a regular basis, it's all you think about. I love my wife, son, job, and do everything in my life I need to do on a daily basis. But I am always thinking about flathead fishing.

18. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    I think you're right on with that thought Phil. To me flatheads are not a pastime, they are a passion.

19. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    I can imagine how bad it is for you Jason, you live so close to the river that you can smell it.lol I live an hour away and I can never wait to get back. If I lived as close as you do, it would drive me nuts!

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well said both of you...to me its not only a passion, its an addiction..everyday nearly to spend racking my brain and trying to figure out all the missing pieces to become better. i spend the slower fishing months printing off lake maps and studying points, water depths and creek channels of the lakes i have fished and caught fish at, detailing out the areas, and marking points of interest for the next season. then comparing them places to other lakes and marking areas that may be similar from the ones i have fished, trying to pinpoint and pattern these fish.. am i crazy? maybe... but i can say what i have on paper now is starting to pattern itself..maybe it is a coincedence? or is it? lol...anyways, flatheads are very close to my heart as it is for some others, and being able to share these experiences with those that appreciate these fish as much as i do, makes it even better...rollo