Buckeye Lake Again today .. 8/6/08

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by RetiredToFish, Aug 6, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Out to Bucket Ocean again today ... got there about 7:30 AM .... water temp was right at 79 degrees and had warmed to 80 by noon. Almost no traffic on the lake, but the wind wouldn't cooperate ... it changed directions 6 different times. That isn't any big deal unless you are drift fishing ... and we were. We caught 2 channel cats one at 2 pounds and the second one was 3 pounds. My 12 year old cousin caught the first one (the 2#er) .... It was his first catfish and the biggest fish he had ever caught. I caught the other one and missed one good fish and another good run ... (Damn Circle hooks) We were using worms, cut shad and bluegill and chicken liver .... one caught on a worm and mine caught on shad head. Both of the other runs were on shad. All of the fish showing on the fish locator were suspended between 2.5 and 7 feet of water. We fished water from 6.5 to 13 feet. The barometer has been steady at 29.96 all day. .......... Garry-

Attached Files:

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Better photo ..........

Attached Files:

3. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Ya didn't see any bodies floating out there did ya? Here that someone reported they saw a decomposed infant body sunday and they were out searching for it.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I heard the same report on the radio this morning... anyways, congrats on the fish bro... rollo

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Nope .... no live ones or dead ones .... We saw the TV choppers flying over the area Monday .... I told my cousins to keep their eyes open today .. for floaters. Garry- :embarassed:

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    It was a carp baby cut up by prop wash.....

Garry, if you're gonna use circles, don't cuss em' if'n you ain't gonna use em properly.

You don't get RUNS on circles. Commit, just once, commit to the process and you'll be hooked.... pun intended :wink:

7. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    congrats to the young mans biggest fish

8. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Well Shawn ........ I have decided after today ... not to use circles unless I am fishing tight line ... no more using them while drifting ....:angry: Garry-:crazy::wink:

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Congrats on the two good fish!

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats on the fish,garry

11. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Garry, I have GOT to get you out there with me. Drifting tight line with circles on a lake is THE most exciting way to catch channels PERIOD.
    Put the weight below the hook, put out your line short, don't cast, about a 45 degree angle and put your rod in a STURDY (driftmaster type) rod holder. Those fish will make your rod slap the water. Didn't Tony teach you anything?

12. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Shawn do you mean engage the reel and "lock down" the drag.lol...sb:smile2:

13. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Well Shawn .... that might be alright if you are bottom fishing .... BUT ... the fish weren't on the bottom they were suspended mostly 3 feet to 4.5 feet down .. the only time I found them any deeper that that was when the water was 12 to 13 feet deep and then several of them were at 7 feet. We had 3 rods fishing the bottom like you suggested and didn't receive even a nibble .... the fish that were caught and the other hits/runs I had were at about four feet deep under a bobber. Therefore, we are talking a completly different set of circumstances. Garry-

14. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Hal I mean engage the reel and tighten the drag just under breaking point.... smart aleck!

Garry, two points..... BTW this is an Excellent thread where we can talk the fine points.

1. I use bobbers (Katbobbers) all the time. In fact 50% of my channels in the river come from bobber fishing. I have them engaged with a tight drag. The drag of the bobber is enough to set the hook on channels.... usually.

2. If you want to drift 3 feet down in 7 feet of water, lengthen the lead line to 4 feet and the hook will trail along..... at 3 feet.

Finally, there are times when fish light bite and circles ain't worth diddly. Just don't kick em out until you've experienced the fun of it when committed to and used correctly. I too have tried circles with clickers and loose line..... Circles are made for tight lines and let the fish hook himself.

Shawn

15. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Garry try the circles with the clicker off and the reel locked down when after the suspended fish. Just drop it down to the desired depth and be sure to let the fish load the rod up good. I use this method quite a bit with circles on suspended fish both anchored and drifting and very rarely miss the fish. Give it a shot and see if it works for ya.