Buckets what good are they.

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by catseeman, Jul 6, 2006.

1. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I know we all use them. I think they are one of the most useful things we have around us. How do you use a bucket ? I have various sizes for different uses. I have small 1/2 gallon, 3 gallon, 5 gallon, 6 gallon.
    I like them for ther versatility. I use them for minnow buckets, tackle totes, seats, live well, step stool. With the addition of a woooden lid, straps, rope handle, pvc pipe, holes drilled, etc. they have many uses.
    How do you use them and what for?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

please add to the list tackle box, dry storage, makeshift marker, seat, toilet for the ladies that don't want to go to shore, table and rod holder. Buckets are good for all sorts of stuff and an over looked necessity.

3. fishinpals

fishinpals New Member

State:
    Virginia, Illinois
    We have areound twenty of them and use them for things you mentioned and for carry tools and just about anything that will fit. Can't beatem. Home Depot had them on sale for a 1.00 a piece awhile back. Wish I had got 50. They are now 4.99.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    5 Gallon Buckets also make great drift socks. I seen DH make one and put it to use. It worked great.

5. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Buckets are excellent! Good post. But we should add to the list of useful things the towel. I personally use one almost every day for different things. You can lay on it, throw it over a tree and camp under it, use it as a blanket, as a makeshift mosquito net, you can wrap it around your head if there are bad things about, you could use it as a weapon if need be, and finally, you can dry off with it :lol: - thats just a small list :wink:

But that really was an excellent post. I will have to keep my bucket in mind the next time I go fishing.

6. Jimmy Don

Jimmy Don Member

State:
    Arkansas
    The funnest thing to do with one is to tie it onto the end of your fishing partner's line, slip it into the water and let it drift out. It feels like you have a whale on your line.

7. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    My 5 gallon bucket has just a few uses...

Bait bucket while fishing

While walking to the bank I use it to carry the net and styrofoam minnow bucket that holds most of my catfishing tackle. Net in bottom, minnow bucket fits perfectly on top of it.

If someone is about with no seat I also have a "Bucket Seat" that fits on top. Keeps bait from flopping out and is a decent seat for most people.

8. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i use my five gallon for carrying fishin stuff, sittin on it, gardening....EVERYTHING i cant think of all my uses....livewell....case....target....AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!:crazy: TOO MUCH PRESSURE!

9. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah, buckets are awesome! They are excellent for keeping your cast net it, I add an extra rope to mine, and tie the end of it to the bucket. The I just stick my cast net in the bucket, and pile the rope on top of it. Also I mainly use a bucket for my tackle. They are definitely a great thing for fisherman, what would we do without them?

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Well thats a lot of useful things for the ole bucket thats for sure.One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that when your time finally comes and you are ready to KICK the bucket it is a lot easier if you have one handy instead of delaying the process a couple of years until you find a suitable bucket to kick.I also have heard that after kicking said bucket you get bonus points while being judged if your bucket smelled of shad,herring,white perch,liver or fish slime.Not sure if dip baits count.!!!!!!!:big_smile: :lol: :smile2: :eek:oooh: :roll_eyes:

11. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    I've got 2 in my gang box at work, i usum for everything!
    i have "bucket buddies" on them you know the sleeves that hold tool's n such. i don't think the Earth would slide on greased axeles if it wasen't for "Bucket's". in closin i'm sure it was invented before the Wheel!!!

12. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I have my favorite bucket to. A neighbor gave it to me in 1979 to sit on while deer hunting. There ain't no telling how many miles I've carried that thing. It is an old John Deere hydraulic oil bucket and it's a dandy.

ST

13. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    yep, i think about all of mine have been taken! lol whats that old saying "All brothers think alike" lol

14. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    my bucket is a bait bucket spare seat, foot stool while fishing. and a minor tackle caddy i to have a tool caddy. but its used for tackle.

15. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Another use for a bucket, but don't use one you are attached to.

I saw a guy not long ago that had drilled dozens of 1/4" holes in his bucket. He had a tight lid for it and a rope ties to the handle. He would keep it in the water and keep his shad in it. Kept them alive a good long while with halfway decent waterflow.

16. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Great Post. Buckets can be used for holding endless things in fishing. I always use them to hold the leftover guts though. Also to store my castnet in while out on the water. Everyfisherman needs a bucket.

17. Catatonic Chronic

Catatonic Chronic New Member

State:
    Johnson City, New York
    Fishholder/carrier, and the all-important seat! I bought me one of those convert-a-bucket seats. Nice and soft! It can also double for the ugly blind date cover of shame, too! LOL :lol:

P.S. Did I forget to mention the last minute poop-stool? Works great with plastic grocery bags as a liner.

18. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I got a pink one from wal-mart.

19. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

Hey John, It's good to see ya back on the board.

ST

20. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    As a floor covering installer, I used buckets to hold all my tools.
    1 bucket for hand tools and small stuff has one of those tool scerts in it, the other is for my smaller power tools.
    1 holds 1 kind of patch, 1 holds another.

Buckets are great!