Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I made with what I had laying around. The pump is mount on a board that bolts on a stud that bolted thur the transom.That makes it easy to bolt on and off. The pump is turns on and off by a float that is attached to a micro switch. The micro switch is connect to a time delay relay about three sec That is mounted to the side of bucket This keeps the the pump from going on and off if the float is bouncing the micro switch on and off real fast The inlet elbow as a small hole drilled in the bottom above the water line, that's the anti siphon valve. The small bottom hose drains water off all The time.The top hose is the water inlet. The other two hoses are the overflow in case the float does not shut off the pump for some reason or if I want to run the pump all the time. It also has a lid that goes on top of the bucket. The bucket is secured so it doesn't tip over.also pump hoses everything packs inside bucket It works great here at home but the real test will be the next time I going fishing! lol Maybe this week If it works out I will clean it up a little better maybe paint the board anyway lol

G

·
Nice job Clyde. It should work. Was going to do something similar with a old Bud Round cooler I have. Let us know how it works for you??

· Registered
4,059 Posts
Love it !!! I just made one out of a 18gal container and it also works excellent. I've kept 4 dozen herring alive for over a day so far, but as it warms it will be harder, or not even possible with a ton of ice ( non-insulated atm..

One thing to consider with yours is the water intake being where it is. It will suck up the hot water and other less desirable things...such as oils, etc. There's a bait keeper/areator style one that doesn't get submerged into the water ( mounts above the water line ) that has the benefit on being able to run a hose deeper into the water to grab cooler water. I ended up just running my bilge pump inside the container so it both circulates and filters.

Keep us posted on your ideas and progress. I like the micro-switch thingy ya got goin on there. I have no knowledge of them, but I do now,,,thanks ; )

Thanks for sharing your project with us, great pics too.

-Jim-

· Registered
6,249 Posts
Clyde,, You're hired!!! Great idea!! Also, You can run a longer pickup tube for cooler water..

Recently, I acquired a nice thermometer,, mounted on a board,, and, I tested it a bit,,
had surface water temp of 74,, and in 12 feet of water I lowered the thermometer to the bottom and it was 71..
want to check deeper water and see how much the temp changes in deeper water!!

· Registered
701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wrapped the bucket in carpet and filled it with water and set in the sun. also water down the carpet. Took a temp. reading after about a hour half or so the temp was about the same.Nothing new about this just a old way to keep water cool in the heat,water bags wrap in burlap. I want say how I know this lol I'm going to wally world soon to get a oil drain pan or something to set it in. The true test will come Thursday or Friday.I also made some more pole holder's. I can't hardly wait try everything out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.