buck skins

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by cumberlandcat, Dec 13, 2008.

1. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I figured this would be the best place to post a question on tanning some deer hides. I have about 7 buck skins and haven't tanned anything in about 15 years. Wondering if there are any ways to achieve this without buying some expensive kit. I really don't care if if it is a hairless or hair on recipe. Any help would be great.

Thanks
    Chris

2. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    http://www.google.com/search?q=tanning+leather&rls=com.microsoft:en-us
    Here's a ton of hits. Look into the "brain tanning" method. I have a buddy that does that and it works great. if you want hair off hides, use lye to loosen the hair. That's basically what ashes and water are. anyway the brain tanning method is cool. you boil the brain until it's really hot. then you just squish all the "wax" out of it and use that.

3. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    i did one not to long ago on a piece of plywood . i made sure all the meat was off it used regular table salt and borak acid it worked great .

4. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    A friend of mine told me once,,,"All animals have enough brains to tan their own hide"

I don't know anything about it, but, I imagine any kind of brains would work..