Buck of a lifetime!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by kkyyoottee, Sep 19, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Here is scenario: you are out deer hunting in a blind with your wife or child and you see a buck of a lifetime!!! You have been dreaming of seeing a buck like this all your life. It has 13 points will score over 180 and is only 50 yards away!!! Who would take the shot? Well this very scenario happened to me!! My wife and I were hunting when "my buck" of a lifetime appeared!!! My wife had deer hunted 6 years and I have hunted for 40 plus years. She had never harvested a deer. I had to make a decision. I looked at my wife with my heart beating a hundred mile a hour and told her to take him. When she finally calmed down she made a one shot kill and deer dropped in tracks after one huge leap. My thoughts and crushed ego were erased by the look my wife gave me after she saw this buck of a life time was down. What would you do? That deer is the deer in my avatar along with my beautiful wife and hunting partner. He now proudly adorns our wall in our den. It could happen to you!! Be honest!!! Good luck hunting this year!!!

2. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    if it was my kid sure id let him/her take the shot. if it was my wife no way!
    she already outfishes me and thats bad enough.

3. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    J.D you slay me!!! my wife also out fishes me most of time. But you know what that look she gave me was worth a million dollars to me. And each time she walks by that deer she gives me the same look she gave that fateful day when my buck became my gift to her.

4. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    So, what your telling us is that your wife outhunted ya, an got a record buck to prove it. Now, to make yourself feel better, your tellin her, and us, that it was YOUR deer, and you just LET her have it.
    I've heard this story before. LOL

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Lmao I was sitting right beside her and he had my name written all over him!!!

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I think Kutter got you there Will!:wink: LMAO (in a good way), you know, laughing with you, not at you.:big_smile:

7. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I guess I should back him up on this, he was sitting right there next to me, sighted in on the buck. I had first shot, but if I missed he wasn't going to hesitate on pulling the trigger. It did take me what seemed like forever to calm down enough to take the shot. I was also waiting for a slight turn on the deer, because I didn't like the position he was in, I wanted a little less of an angle shot on his body, he gave me that turn and I nailed him. Will thought I had buck fever and was looking at the horns but I really wasn't. I was nervous but not because of the rack, but that is a whole different story and different thread LOL.

8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I think my wife paid Kutter off!!! I know she did J.D. I am very proud of her and I am honored to have been part of that moment with her. And hell it gives her and the kids something to tease me about. But deep down it also tells them what kind of husband and father I am. My chest was just as puffed out as a prairie chicken when neighbor came to help me hang it. But damnt that deer was mine!!! Lmao:wink:

9. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa
    Oops I guess I should add a little more on our partner hunting, :big_smile: We agree to take turns. He was the last one to get a turkey that I called in for him so first turkey is mine. This year he will get first shot at a deer, whether it be a monster buck or a doe but his turn his choice is first. If we have 2 that come in at the same time, he gets first choice and I will be the back up gun. When we went on our antelope hunt I took first shot and missed so he took the shot on that one, next day I didn't mess up, :embarassed:

10. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    I would definately let her or my kid have the shot with no second thoughts. But since my wife doesn't hunt and i have no kids thats pretty easy to say:smile2:. Congratulations to her for killing your buck of a lifetime:eek:oooh::smile2: j/k.

11. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    Amy hasnt showed any real interest in hunting yet, other than food. mostly because i hunt with the boss and various customers of the company. not being the boss, it really isnt one of those deals where i can bring her along. which sucks, because i end up spending around 45 days off and on throughout nov. dec. jan. away from her. its a dirty job but someones gotta do it.

i like that your turn my turn deal yall have. i am gonna try that out on amy. dont know if she'll go for it though. she already has a good setup. she baits her own hook but, hates taking fish off of the line. 9 out of ten times my rod gets a bite while i am taking her fish off, and she "saves it from going overboard sweetie".

12. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i just got my huntin camp schedule for this year. last year we went up 4 days during the week and came home for one day at work and 2 weekend days. the boss decided we didnt get enough work done.

this year we will go up for 3-4 day hunts every weekend except thanksgiving and christmas. that way we can work most of the week. starting nov. 18th i think. through jan. 31.

13. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    The scenario itself, I would have to say I woulda given it to my hunting partner. But that phrase right there of "she had never harvested a deer" is what would seal the deal. I've never hunted, but I know that I would rather my wife/child get the deer of a lifetime. It would just be special to be a part of it for them.

14. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa

I will let the cat out of the bag here LOL, I don't like taking the fish off my hook either, but with a pair of gloves I do ok most of the time. I have a hard time if the fish is hooked bad then I have to hand it over to Will (if I don't have a pair of needle nose handy) every time I do that though he gets a hit, hehehe. But it's all good, we mostly have fun. I bait my own hook and sometimes I bait his. I also help clean them at the end of the trip. Sometimes we have a hard time in the boat though, because he is left handed and I am right handed. Been a few near misses on casting or setting the hook. :wink: One day he got a little aggrevated at me. Was our first time out in the boat we had just bought, and I forgot to wear my glasses, and I knew there was gonna be a good fish hiding under a tree in the water. So I said out loud, if I try to get close to that tree I know I am going to catch it, and sure enough, right in the tree it went so he had to take the boat over so I could get my lure out of the tree. But after that we still had fun and I got used to the boat and kept my lures out of the trees and grass hehehe.

15. Big B

Big B New Member

State:
    North Texas
    I would have to agree with JD:big_smile:. My wife out fish me and my son does too. But my wife wont hunt with me because I have to be in control of the situation. She really hates that. But if it was my son I would tell him to take it. I would not think twice about it.

16. Cathooker

Cathooker New Member

State:
    Ga
    This is a an easy one for me...my wife or child would get first shot.

17. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    My wife has no interest in hunting, beyond smiling at me acting like I'm a lil kid again. But in that scenario....that buck would of been down, field dressed, an half way to the truck before I noticed the shot.....yeah she's that sneaky.
    :big_smile:
    And I'd be the one cooking it.....

18. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Just out of curiosity, what kind of lures do you use on catfish?
    Please don't tell me you were fishing for them ugly, green, scaly, worthless as bait, worthless as food, tiny members of the sunfish family more commonly known around here as b@$$!
    Oh, the shame, the shame. Just when Will had us believin you were the perfect wife!

19. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    I WOULD DEFINITELY LET THEM TAKE THE SHOT BUT JUST BEFORE THEY PULLED THE TRIGGER I WOULD SAY REAL QUIETLY ,YOU BETTER NOT MISS THAT SON OF A #$@$$!!

20. CatFishingFinatic

State:
    Iowa

Ahh sorry to dissappoint a fellow BOC member, but yes, I am a true sportswoman, I was fishing for the big bass. :roll_eyes: Monster bluegills, or maybe even a walleye, have hooked into all three in this pond. I love the fight, :wink: Even the smallest puts up one heck of a fight on my ultra light rod and reel.