Bubbukat help

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Todd Strong, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    I've got an 74 evinrude 140, is there anywhere I can drill an small hole and tap to add an pisser hose. It just bugs the heck out of me that it doesn't have this. I have to look at the exhaust ports no and then to make sure there is water coming out.

2. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Sorry spelled Bubba wrong, hit send before proof reading. :crazy:

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't know about drilling a hole in the motor. They have an audible alarm on them to let you know when they are hot - problems is by the time you hear the alarm it's too late. Seens like some of these enterprising engineers on the B.O.C. could devise a replacement warning horn or alarm system that comes on BEFORE the factory alarm. Wonder if Radio Shack would have parts like that. If you could find something, seems as though you could run it off a head bolt or something. Fuzzface hooked a water temperature guage up on his boat, but it is no where near factory specs and is just about as good as the factory alarm. LOL

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Yep there is a way to drill it and add the tell tell. I'll look up the pictures and the stuff needed and post it for you. Lawerance radio shack does make a better horn the the orig one I just can't remember the parts number for it.

5. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Man you made me do some digging but it served as a reminder that I have a ton of info on disc and 3.5 floppies and manuels which this isn't in a manuel. I descovered how to do this while rebuilding a 85 h/p 1974 and have since talked to several guys that have done this.
    Now number one I will post a picture of where to drill.
    You can put a T connector in this if you want to run you a pressure gage from it also. Take your time drilling and don't get into a big hurry give your self enough time so you can do this without going into the cylinder which is just beyond where the drill bit tip will come out inside the water jacket. Piece of cake. to do.
    I use a R bit which relives the stress of tapping in alum. The proper size for a 1/8 NPT fitting is a Q bit but the R bit will do the job because the tapered threads on the fitting will seal good.
    You will need a I/8 NPT T or elbow, your choice. A length of rubber tubing, I used the clear myself. You will hook to the fitting and route the tubing up and over in a sort of an upside down U and down to the rear of the pan. You will drill a hole just big enough in the lower pan to get the tubbing through or you can buy you one of thos fittings that is made for that pee hose. I sealed mine to the pan with some 5200 sealer myself. I'll post you another picture of mine tomorrow when its daylight out side. hope this helps.Oh by the way a pressure gage on an out bord is worth its weight in gold.
    You can see the round spot on top of the block and on the starbord side that is where you need to drill. Take a sharp punch and mark the center so you won't be wallering in and out you need a good clean drilled hole to tap.

6. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Thanks Bubbakat I will check in tomorrow, I hope you didn't have to dig to deep. I thought I had read somewhere that this could be done, but I don't think they ever stated were to drill and thanks again.

7. Defiant

Defiant New Member

State:
    West Virginia
  8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I think That is what I also said without all the other stuff. Those pictures are on a late model and he ask for a 140 and that is what I put up. Here is how I routed the holse. These tell tell lines serve to purposes when you mount them high on the head like this. They vent all the air bubbles out of the block which makes better cooling and also you can see the water coming out and you can add a pressure gage.
    Here is the other picture.

9. Todd Strong

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Thanks Bubba, I can see where you have to be carefull on how deep you drill and tap, Sure do appricate the info.