Bubbles

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by georgiamike, Oct 17, 2006.

1. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    When you see bubbles coming up in the water, are they coming from a Cat?

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Gas...?:lol:
    ~~~~~~~~~~
    Life is like a Car-wash and I'm on a bicycle.

3. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Are we talking about fishing, or bathtime?? :lol:

Seriously though, I have always wondered the same thing, I think it could be a variety of things, but most likely I think it is turtles most of the time. Anything on or near the bottom could release trapped air from structure or pockets along the bank or bottom though.

4. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    The reason I asked was the last time I went there were some bubbles coming up and this guy says they are from catfish, the bubbles began moving in my direction and wham I caught a cat, just wondering if there was anything to it.

5. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I think it's probably turtles. I've seen that a lot in ponds and wondered about it too. But I do know that when you walk out in the pond, stepping on sticks and slime and junk, the bubbles come up. So that's why I always figured it was turtles moving around on the bottom.

6. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    one-three bubbles at a time and moving=channels. large mass of bubbles and moving=turtles. large mass of bubbles and moving after a huge surface splash=flattie. single, or even a few bubbles and not moving but comming from the same spot=gas from decaying debris (leaves, logs, or even a corpse:eek:oooh: ) buried in the mud or sand.

7. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Interesting, I'm gonna have to try out that 1-3 bubbles moving thing.

I usually find that if the bubbles aren't moving, you will most likely get hung-up when casting on them because it is a huge branch or something (***especially in a river***). Carp will also make bubbles, though. There are some koi (melanistic carp) in a pond that I fish and they are the only things that make a lot of bubbles that are moving around. About 10 bubbles and multiple ones surfacing simultaniously. They will move about every 15 seconds or so not farther than 10 feet unless spooked.

I know this because it is how I caught one on my fly-rod...casted at the "moving bubbles" for about 3 minutes and all of a sudden my fly line started creeping horizantally into the water (about 15 pounds, 6pound leader, no backing, #5/6 weight rod, 30 minute fight):cool2: