Bubble and Squeak

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by CuzICan, Jul 30, 2009.

1. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Cut a small head of cabbage into pretty fine shreds the length of the cabbage or halve a large head and do the same (if it's a large head we'll use the rest of it in a minute.) Cut up potatoes, thinly sliced, (I cut mine like very thin French Fries, jackets still on, or use leftover potatoes) Alternate layers of the shredded cabbage and the thin sliced potatoes in a large skillet 10" or 12" with a little grease in the bottom of it ( the fresh cabbage is a large volume at first then it will cook down). Season well, however you like, I use chopped garlic, salt, cajun seasoning, peppermill pepper, Blackened Seasoning, etc...between the layers of cabbage and potatoes and toss when the skillet is full. Cook until tender and lightly browned, turning the "bubble" over a couple of times... I add fresh onions chopped to the mixture right before I cut the heat off, so it will be crispy tender. The Brits call this one bubble and squeek, because it bubbles in the skillet and the cabbage squeaks across your teeth, LOL! I think they traditionally boil the potatoes, then throw it in with the cabbage and fry it, but I just fried mine til tender, and it turns out pretty good. I cook mine a good while, about an hour or more (on med heat for about 30 minutes then on lower heat for the remainder of the time.)

If you had a large head of cabbage and only used half of it, then cut the rest into wedges (I usually can get about 4 to 6 from 1/2 of a large head of cabbage) season with seaoned salt, garlic either powder or chopped, peppermill pepper, and whatever else you like as a seasoning. Wrap them with 2 pats of butter each in foil. I put 2 wedges in each foil package and seal the top and ends well, so I don't lose my butter. Enjoy with a meal in the next couple of days. Will keep well in the foil, or mine did. Bake in the oven @ about 350 for an hour or on the grill until tender.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2009
  2. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    This is some good vittles.:wink: krazy name, but ya ain't eatin what it's called. Fryed cabbage and taters is whut i'm talkin bout.

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Cher,We'll be trying this for sure. Sounds great. I love cabbage and we cook whole heads wrapped in foil with butter and spices all summer.

4. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Bet that would be good with brown beans and cornbread.

5. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Double post-- sounded so good I had to say it twice

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the receipt on cabbage Cher. Your making me hungry. Trying to talk the wife into making some up for dinner. Thanks. Reps.

7. boswifedeb

boswifedeb USCA Jailhouse Lawyer

State:
    Tennessee
    Name:
    Debbie
    Now that sounds GOOOOOODD!!! Thanks, Cher!:big_smile: