Bubbakat

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by zappaf19, Apr 1, 2006.

1. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Time to turn to the man that knows.
    I have a 115 merc 80s model. 6 cyl. 3 carbs. boat dies when I hit the gas. I have rebiult and cleaned the carbs till I am blue in the face. I have also put in a NEW in line filter because I saw dirt in the bottom carb. You got any suggestion?
    I did have the floats set by a real mech.
    Bill:confused:

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Get me the serial number so I can see what carbs we are fooling with here. The first thing that comes to mind here is settings. I will have to look and see if and what way they need to be set.
    Those old towers of power were very finicky on the carb adjustments.
    Now it may be late this afternoon before I can get back to yea because I have to go to choo. choo for my grand daughters birthday party.
    I do remember those merc's need to be set with them in the water in gear.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    with the engine in forward gear, slowly turn the mixture screw counterclockwise until the motor starts to load up due to an over rich mixture.
    Slowly turn the screw clock wise until the engine smooths out and rpm's increase continue this way until the engines rpm's fall off and begins to misfire.
    When this happens turn it back in 1/4 of a turn to get the approx setting

If the motor hesitates during acceleration ( falls on its face while trying to engage throttle) the idle mixture is to lean adjust it by turning the screw inward until acceleration is achieved.

I use another person on board to operate the boat while doing this or just leave it on the trailer buckled down and backed into the water.

You have to do this procedure with all the carbs.
    When doing this let the motor have time to adjust itself to the mixture screw changes. About 10 to 15 seconds between each change and never turn the screw out more then 1/8 th turn at a time.

4. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Man it's great to have Bubbakat on the board!

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    You can bump your choke and it should pick up and go. Bet its the jet still not allowing the stream of gas when you go from idle to wide open.
    Pete

6. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Bubbakat
    I will give it a try. It's embarrassing to ask ya. Most of the time I can get the things figured out. I am not much of a Merc fan to start with. Father in law use to sell Johnsons. Now I have to find someone willing to freeze driving the boat and not make me go swimming.
    I think it is the bottom carb. That is the one that seems to give me fits the most.
    Thank you sooooooo much for the help. I'll get the #s if I can see them. I know where they are.
    Bill:)
    PS
    I did try choking it and that helped for a min. Good suggestion.

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Don't be embarassed to ask man that is what knowledge is for. I ask a lot of questions my self and even have to go back and read up on somethings.

Now don't go praiseing me yet. I don't know if this will work or not so iffin it don't then back into the carbs I would say after all electrics are checked.

Shoot I got stumped on a little ole 6 here while back and dropped it in the back of the garage and a month later it dawned on me what was wrong. A simple little gasket under the pick up tube.:eek:
    But if it doesn't have a blown power head it can be fixed.
    I ain't no fan of mercs either but they will run forever if kept up. I have a 1974 50 that is strong as an ox. Starts on first turn over.