bubba

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by shane12970, Feb 12, 2009.

1. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    i have a johnson vro 40. i need to know what year it is . on the registration to the boat the motor serial number is 87728735 does that help you ? also are these good motors. how reliable is the vro oil pump. if i wanted to mux a litle oil in gas just to be safe in case the vro quit what would you suggest.. thanks shane

2. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    the vro (variable ratio oil) system a good reliable system IF and only if it is properly maintained. oil filter changes , pulse line clear, good quality oil in the resavor,, most people will say to get rid of the vro system ...but it has gotten a very bad reputation because it is often the first thing to blame when an engine blows...these are the same folks who NEVER had done the regular needed maintnance to the oil system and it failed because of "lack of maintnance" not by bad design
    the vro system will mix 150 to 1 mixture at an idle and 50 to 1 at start riching up up to 50/1
    if you do decide to remove the vro system be sure to plug the pulse line as close to the engine as you can and also disconnect the low oil alarm mix 50 / 1

3. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    what does pulse line clear mean? just cahnge filter and such.. what about adding some seafoam to the oil.. how much should i add.. thanks shane

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Check the oil lines they can and do get old and will crack. Then you think the oil pump went out. When it was a bad oil like that did it. Most people run one. but never check the oil lines to make sure there good.
    pete

5. roadkill636

roadkill636 New Member

State:
    warrenton misso
    the pulse line is a hose that is connected from the engine block and goes to the oil pump.. it has the same air as 1 of the cylinder crank case does, so the line sucks and presurerizes at the same rate as the piston does. acctavating a diafram inside the oil pump

these sometimes get gooped up and clog

6. shane12970

shane12970 New Member

State:
    , North Carolin
    thanks guys...Shane

7. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Shane to answer your question on the sea foam just clean the VRO system and check all lines and tank the refill the tank then add about 2 oz of sea foam to the oil and that will help keep the system clean.
    Get me the model number off it and I can get the year.