Bubba-- Please Help-- Sea King 5 or 5.5

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by oh no, Aug 26, 2009.

1. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I need information on this motor,, it starts great,,, no cooling,,,

Model Number GG 18736
    Or 66 18736 Serial Number 16 X 823393

I picked this up of Ebay for 85 dollars,,,,

I can not get the bottom to drop after pulling the 4 screws,,,, to get at the water pump.....

I don't know the year of this motor Bubba,,, it has to be,,,early 60s

It needs to be running on the back of my Pelican Raptor,,, as it is a cool old motor,,, kinda like out of Grampa's basement.

Also,,, what is the mix ratio for it???? 50-1,,,, or 24-1,,, or what ever.

2. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    3 more pictures,,, hey this motor started the 2nd pull,,it would be a shame to junk it.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I may be mistaken so I am going to check in an old book I have. I think they were made by merc. or for merc. I don't know which. As for the ;lower unit up under the cowling there is a shift rod that has to be disconnected to get it off. the whole rod comes out. That is one clean little egg beater

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    That was a gale made motor for monkey wards company and either is a 1961 or 1962. It is slated to run at 24:1 mix but I would be afraid to run it at 40:1 because I would almost bet that it had roller bearings in it. I'll see if I have a blow up of the lower unit any where but if the model number has a letter after it it will determine if its a 61 or 62 if not then it was built in the last group that gale built for the year of 62 which would have all 63 parts and upgrades in it.

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    3 more pictures I really would like to get this thing working good,,,I think it is a sharp little motor

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    3 more,,, hoping these will help you

7. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    last Picture

8. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Right on the side where the shifting arm comes out and that flat blade screw is take it out and if memory serves me right it has a bolt thru shift rod going from it all the way to the lower unit.. When you get it apart don,t move that shift lever around any to lengthen it or shorten it. On the bottom of the lower unit is a Phillips head screw by no means at all remove it that goes to the shift dog inside the housing and is hard to line back up.
    On the other post I meant to say I wouldn't be afraid to run that motor at 40:1 mix.

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Jim did you get that thing seperated.:roll_eyes:

10. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I'm getting ready to head to KY, Sunday,,,, impeller has not come in yet...

I went to an antique outboard site and found out that the power head/motor has to come off to get at the shift linkage,,,,,I'll get into it when I get back from fishing. I'm taking my Pelican with a Minkota trolling motor.

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/04/s/columns/max/13/index.cfm