Bubba: Everyone tells me to disconnect...

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tkishkape, Jan 15, 2009.

1. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Bubba: Everyone I ask recommends that I should disconnect my oil injection system on my 1996 150 'Rude. I haven't done it yet but am becoming a little more conservative on my maintenance.

In the past two years I've logged over 600 hours on the engine.

What is your recommendation?

2. larry d. grady

larry d. grady New Member

State:
    north caro
    don't wait , plug the oil line disconnect the alarm wires.and go to mixing ,you can consider yourself lucky after 400 hrs. i disconnect 10 to 15 ayear.when your alarm goes off its to late.good luck.larry d. grady

3. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    my dad had a 40 johnson that oil pump went out on. by the time the alarm went off, top half was burnt out. luckily it was still warrantied. dealer told him to leave it off and mix. we've done that since with no problem.
    gary

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If its oil injected and still doing well I would keep it myself. Its kinda like I will feel better if I mix my own but I would run it. Those thing are rebuildable and if so inclined I would rebuild it and If you decided to keep it I can show you how to check it to see if its running the right amount of oil out of it. The tanks need to be cleaned out every once in awhile and I even put a couple ounces of seafoam down in mine about twice a year.

5. tkishkape

tkishkape New Member

State:
    Gore, Okla
    Thanks, fellers...

I'm still batting 1000 on it... so I guess I better do it.

Albert

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a 1999 90hp Merc. It seems like it has ran rich on oil since I got it new out of the carton.

Would it be better to disconnect its injector and mix.?? Are there adjustments on the amount of oil it will put out??

It just is hard starting cold and smokes a ton. Runs great once it warms up.