Bubba alittle more help please

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by coyotee1, Apr 3, 2008.

1. coyotee1

coyotee1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    I took the head off of my 35 mercury and got to the head gasket, the head gasket is like glued to the block do i scrap that off there and put something on it to replace that sticky stuff or was it just so old it was stuck to it? one more thing do you know the torque for the head bolts? how important is the torque on them?

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Wire brush and some actone will get that cleaned right up. Get you a wire brush wheel that goes in a drill chuck and clean it up but to get a good even seal it will have to be cleaned. Someone has tried to seal it before and without a new gasket. It doesn't work for long term. I'll post a picture of the head bolt sequence if I can find it and the torque is very important. Get you a thread chaser and clean those bolt holes out and clean those threads on the bolts good also.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    How many bolts does thatcover have. It should be six if I am thinking correctly on this.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    You may need to flatten the heads also. I used some extremely fine emery cloth, and I mean extremely fine, glued a sheet it to a smooth, straight pieces of plexiglas and went to work. That paper and plexiglas has got to be straight edge smooth with no wrinkles or bows. Took about 5 hours to get the head to the point everything was the same, no high points, no low points. If your heads not smooth, your sort of wasting time and money. You may want to take it to a machine shop instead of the do-it-yourself variety. But, really, it's something that needs checked when you take your head off. And you do want to torque those bolts to specs.

5. coyotee1

coyotee1 New Member

State:
    indiana
    it has 10 bolts in it