Brush On Truck Bed Liner

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by fish, Dec 2, 2005.

1. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    I found some affordable brush on truck bed liner that could be used in a boat or other uses. I know it will make a bed liner water proof. Will it stop leaks in a boat?

I also wonder if it would work on top of a camper where snow roof had been applied? The snow roof doesn't last very long before it starts to leak again. Here is the link to the brush on truck bed liner, I hope this is allowed, if not, one of our mods, please zap the link.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...1+10201+600001264/c-10101/TID-190003800H41205

2. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Jim,
    I have used alot of epoxies and I have found that do-it-yourself epoxies are not as good as the more complex epoxies. You can get a better product from a paint mfg. You will have to buy a cup gun to apply it but you can get a cheap one for apx. $20. I have found that they apply better if you allow them to catalyze for 24 hours in the freezer, then return them to room temp in hot water just before use. And be sure dry off the can very well before you open it. Water in the epoxy is bad. Unless you plan on throwing gun away when your down get some xyleene and run it thru the gun when done. And leave some in the gun too. After a few days of it sitting in the gun dump it out and rinse.
    It probally wont cost you much more to get the better epoxy. Also the epoxy will be white, they can give you tint for it too so you have color options that way. If you like more info on the different epoxies or on application send me a PM and I will give you detailed info.
    David Frantz

3. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    David, I appreciate the information buddy. A couple more questions? Will the epoxy adhere to the snow roof material that is already on the camper roof and is this type epoxy UV protected? It sounds better than just a normal epoxy. Thanks again.

4. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I am not familiar with the snow roof material that you are speeking of. As far as UV protection..... I am certain that it will outlast the DIY(do it yourself) bed liner.
    If you are looking for a fairly quick fix and not extremly expensive. 3M makes a spray on underliner/undercoat. This was used on the shell of my Bronco and now after a year it is starting to wear off. I belive it is do to lack of proper prep. Had the area been cleaned with a mild solution of T.S.P. (tri-sodium phosphate or a TSP alternate) I do not belive it would have failed. I have used the 3M underliner on car bumpers for a friend who has a car lot and it seams to bond well when everything is clean. On a camper top I would use this. On a boat I would use a epoxy. You do not want to have a black in your boat and that is the only color the undercoating is available in from 3M. It would simply make it too hot as well as epoxy is much better suited for boats in my opinion.
    If you need any detailed info on useing epoxies SAFELY let me know I will help in anyway I can.
    David Frantz

5. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Thanks a bunch David, I really appreciate the information. Sno roof is a rubberized roll on material that is recommended for camper tops but it doesn't last very long. Thanks again buddy.

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Jim, I've used the product you linked to, and it works very well in the bed of my son's ol' beat up 4x4. The only thing I didn't like about it.... I wish we would of sprayed it on with a cheap cup gun. We rolled it on and went through about $10.00 worth of foam rollers. It's kinda messy to roll on. This product has been in the bed of his truck for a lil over a year and still looks new. No chipping or cracking and he uses the bed to haul all knds of tools and toys. All we did to prep it was to wash it real good, take a grinder and 80 grit sand paper and ran over the old paint. We have found that it sticks to unsanded areas ( corners of the bed) and sanded aeras just as well. It's a polyureathane that is flexable and last along time. I don't remember if you can tint it or not , but I think it may come in white also. It should work well for a camper top. Not sure about the sno rof. But if this stuff is coming off you will need to remove as much as you can before applying any thing to it. The 3M product Okccatman talked about is great stuff. He's also right about prepping before using it. I used the 3M product on my boat trailer and it's holding up well so far. Not alot use yet, but I think it will do fine. As far as UV protection, the 3M product really has none. It's used in wheel wells and under the car on the body and frame, however, the bedliner product you found has a lot of UV protection in it.

Hope this helps some.

7. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Tod, that is a wealth of info buddy and I really appreciate it. The brush-on bed liner does come in different colors. I may take all the sno roof off and go with the bed liner then I won't have to worry about it leaking for a good while. Thanks again my friend.

8. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Jim ... that is interesting. I have yet to see the bedliner in any color but black. If you need help with the application just let me know.

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Jim, brush-on bed liner is great stuff for the bed of your truck or the inside of your boat, but it's not made to be used as a roof coating, and that's a pretty expensive experiment. Personally, I've had excellent results on a couple of pickup campers and my motor home using mobile home roof paint that I bought at Home Depot. I did a search using 'camper' and 'roof repair', and got a lot of hits. There's even a manufacturer that offers a 12 year guarantee against leakage on their product. I'm sending you a PM with a link to the site.

10. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Jerry- all camper shells that i have seen are made of molded fiberglass. Fiberglass is a great substrate for an epoxy. I have used it many, many times to refurbish fiberglass tub/shower inserts. The 1 peice molded type. Out of aproximatly 75 that I have done I have only had 1 fail. And again that was due to lack of proper prep. I did not get the mineral buildup off before I treated with TSP. I would not steer anyone wrong when it comes to painting after all that is how I make a living. With that being said I have 100% confidence in useing an epoxy on the camper shell and if you can get the DIY bed liner in a color that would be fitting I belive it would work well. If uncertain contact the mfg. and ask them what substrates their product has been tested on and if they belive it would be fitting for the task.

jerry- i am curious about hte product you are speeking of... could you send me a link too... thanks
    David

11. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Thanks for the offer David, I really appreciate you.

Jerry, thanks for the link and info in the PM.

Our camper top is metal and it is an older model.

12. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I have a brush in bed liner in the back of my truck, It looks like a Rhino or Line X the draw back that the stuff that I used is $40.00 a gallon. I picked the stuff up at walmart, I believe that Plastic Cote makes it, also by some gray primer and a can of the Plastic Cote bed liner in the aerosol container so you can get the hard to reach places.

chris

13. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    Chris, Fourty a gallon is not bad.
    How long have you had it on your truck and how well does it hold up to abuse?

14. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i used a spray on bed liner to coat my bait tank. the tank was not fixed first, and had a couple of small leaks. the bed liner DID NOT seal the small holes. i was very disappointed. had to re-do the whole shebang. i like the spray on stuff, but don't expect sealing miracles out of it

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Jim, clean off the white stuff and let the camper top weather a bit or speed up the process by washing it with a very dilluted acid, vinegar will even do it. Called acid etching. Coatings will bond to them much better.

Orrrrrrrr you can hurry up and build that tear drop camper :D

16. fish

fish Active Member

State:
    ChattanoogaTenn
    Thanks a bunch Bob, I appreciate that a bunch, I will give that a try. We are going to keep the big camper but we want to build the little teardrop camper for gatherings and spur of the moment camping. We are still trying to find a little 5X7 trailer to get started on the teardrop camper. Thanks again buddy.

17. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I need to put down 2 more gallons to the thickest that I want, The bed liner works very well a few things that you need to do before you start your bed. I have to use quite a bit since I have an 8 foot bed plus the tailgate.

1. sand and prime your bed well, if not the bedliner will come off as soon as you slide something heavy in the back of the truck.
    2. tape your truck off due to over spray from primer and to achieve straight lines for bedliner material.
    3. Buy 2 gallons of spray in bedliner and a can or two that comes in the aerosol container for hard to reach spots.
    4. mix the bedliner material thorughly, it will take a few minutes, I mixed it by hand and it seemed to work the best because the rough material stuff sinks to the bottom.
    5. TAKE YOUR TIME

chris

18. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    On a side note I will be starting a project with my boat today. I will be pulling carpet and repairing a few spots on the floor. Insted of useing carpet I am going to be useing an epoxy for the floor and all of the upper parts(top of the hull and console). This will not be the brush on type of epoxy, I am opting for a more profesional product that will be applied with a HVLP. I will take pics as I go and post on a new thread theprogress and steps involved in the project. Just makes me mad that I just put new hull numbers on my boat... now I have to take them off.... and my registration sticker too.

David Frantz