Bruce W. Midkiff's 104 Blue

Discussion in 'LOCAL KENTUCKY TALK' started by glenmorebuckman, Jul 30, 2006.

1. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Does anybody know the story behind this fish? I've been trying to find some articles or any information on it , but there is very little. I know it was caught somewhere below Cannelton Dam, but where? Seems like I remember he also had a 50 pounder on at the same time!! If anyone knows anything about it, I'd really like to hear it !!

2. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Some of the details that I do know about that catch is:

1. It was caught on a live skipjack.
    2. Caught and released in the tailwaters below Cannelton dam in August
    3. Also a new record line class (50lbs)
    4. Also caught another monster blue at the same time
    5. It beat the previous state record set the same day below the same dam

3. KYfarmer

KYfarmer New Member

State:
    KY
    Bruce was a disabled vet and a catfishing guru, it was his long time goal to catch a record blue, he always caught tons of huge fish. Any time I saw his truck and boat at the bait shop I would stop and check out what he had in the livewell. He had a huge tank in his boat with oxegen bottles hooked up to it to keep the fish alive, also to his bait tank, he said live skipps were the best bait, and took great pains to keep his skippy's alive. Most of the big fish he caught ended up at the Moose lodge's lake outside Owensboro. The day he caught the record fish he took it to the Game Warden station in McLean Co. to get it officially weighed, they told him to put on hats and shirts w/tackle manufactures on it and they would pay him for the advertising rights, and might display the fish in a tank at BP or a Cabellas store... He declined all offers and released the fish at the Owensboro boat ramp. I you see his photos you will notice his trademark hat with a catfish sticking out of it whiskers and all. He did have some replicas made and are on display at Frank Miller and Sons sporting goods and Sportsmans Headquarters in Owensboro. I do know he used 7' shakespear sturdy sticks and penn 330 gti reels. Bruce died not too long after he caught that fish, I wish I could have fished with him.

4. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    At least he realized his dream before he passed on. I wish I could have known him. I fish Cannelton all the time but I didn't have a boat at the time he was fishing.

5. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i fish cannelton all the time too. mostly from the bank but also from a boat. i had a chance to talk to him once. we were trying to get on some fish just cruising around aimlessly and we saw him and hollered to him and asked if he was doin any good. he said no. all he had caught was a little 40 pounder! at the time me nor my friends had caught anything over 20 pounds and we were just amazed. a little 40 pounder. but i guess to him it was little. i do know he caught the record on a 10 inch live skip. i also know what hole it came from and we have never caught a fish there! anyway thats all i know. hey if you wanna hook up and go over there sometime pm me.

6. glenmorebuckman

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    Cattoo, if you don't mind my asking, was this hole close to the dam or down by the bridge? I've heard both, or read both I should say!

7. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Ole Bruce was one heck of a fisherman, I have never met any catman that was as dedicated and diehard as Bruce. As far as where he caught it, really and honestly only Bruce knows. Several people think they know but it really does not matter those big blues travel all over the river and are at the dams in and out all the time.

8. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    the hole im talking about is close to the dam. i'm pretty sure its the same one. just about everytime we saw him he would be fishin that hole. about 80 feet of water.